ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753785 Members
7235 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 G5 VIDEO ADD ON

Jason Dill

ML150 G5 VIDEO ADD ON

For some reason HP deleted the original thread. https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/bd-p/itrc-264#.WNOiSE27odk

This issue is still pending. You can view the original thread cached by google here: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Proliant-ML150-G5-video-performance-problem/td-p/4221201
Here is a brief summary:

So far, based on my experience (and from Andrew's) and based on the latest BIOS release since last time I checked couple of months ago, there seems to be only *two* options to install add-on graphic card on the ML150 G5 system:

(1) Use the PCIe Slot 2 (the PCIe slot nearest to the classic PCI slot) and the GeForce 8400GS you mentioned before. Or try the workstation-class Nvidia NVS grade card with x1 PCIe connector. Has to use the x1 PCIe version. No x8 PCIe video card is available in the market. May be able to use a x16 card, but I couldn't verify it; my x16 to x1 PCIe slot adapter does not work as it interferes with the big capacitor next to the slot. *BIG* limitation: System memory has to be 4GB or less. This config works with any Windows OS, 32-bit or 64-bit. But remember, memory size is limited. Note: PCIe video card does not work in slot 3-6.

(2) Use the classic PCI slot (slot 1, which is the most bottom one). With this you can use any amount of memory you want. I tested this with 8GB and 12GB, and it worked. Tried 32-bit Windows 7 and the 64-bit version, they both worked too. *BIG* limitation: you are bound to maximum Geforce 5xxx series card. The 8xxx and 9xxx cards do *NOT* work as they use a PCI to PCIe bridge chip; the graphic chip itself is a PCIe native, so it has to use bridge chip. Tried it with Jaton 9500GT card with PCI (not PCIe) connector bought from NewEgg, it didn't work.

So everything boils down to the following, do you want good graphic with less system memory (option 1) or do you want meager graphic with more system memory (option 2)? You can't have both.

2 REPLIES 2
Jason Dill

Re: ML150 G5 VIDEO ADD ON

The ML115 Had the exact same problem and it was fixed with a BIOS update. http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1330027

So why in the hell can't HP fix this server? If there is a REAL technical reason why not just tell us?
Why did HP delete the original thread?
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Re: ML150 G5 VIDEO ADD ON

Just came across this thread looking for something else but thought I Might be able to add some info.

Unfortunately a colleague of mine did the same thing - purchased 3 of these boxes with Dual-head display cards to use them as decent workstations. Unfortunately, through LOTS of trial & error, it transpired that these servers have been specifically "nobbled" exactly to *stop* them being used as cheap high-end workstations in comparison to their "proper" workstation equivalents.

So, there's actually nothing to "fix" from HP's perspective, and the situation, if true, is unlikely to change.

I can't provide any definitive links as I didn't do the R&D on it but he seemed confident.

Perhaps logging a formal support call with HP might get it confirmed or denied once & for all...

Regards,

Paul