4854 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G5 storage controller driver?

SOLVED
Go to solution
stelgr

ML150 G5 storage controller driver?

We've purchased a ML150 G5 server, quad core CPU and 4x1GB RAM.

The server indicates that it has an HP embedded SATA RAID controller.

I can't find the driver for the storage controller in HP support page, and the storage manager software from HP does not find any storage controllers when it loads.

I'm attaching a screenshot from the device manager.

Any pointers/ideas?

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

I see you have this
"Intel(R) ICH9 4 Port Serial ATA..."

which means you controller is detected already

the weird this is this is the second post that looks like HP SATA manager is not detecting the controller

check this out

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1285134

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
stelgr

Karlo,

I would like to thank you because with the thread you pointed me to, I was able to fix the "unknown device" at the device manager.

One more question:

I have HDD1: 250GB drive, and I just bought a new HDD2: 500GB drive

I assume that with the RAID 1 function (mirroring) I only have the 250GB of HDD1 mirrored to the second disk, and I lose the remaining 250gb of the second disk?
I see that the server has already split the HDD1 in three partitions of 78.1GB (see screenshot)

Thank you
stelgr

I just downloaded the HP Storage Manager from your link, and it still does not find any controller. Please see attached.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

did you enable and configure a RAID 0?

since if the RAID capability was not enable the storage manager controller won't be able to recognize the controller since it will work with Embedded SATA controller only when RAID/SATA capability is enabled in BIOS

I see you have 1 HDD so I don't know if you configured RAID 0

other thing if you bought a 500HDD now and you just insert it it won't create a RAID 1 just like(I see unallocated space which means HDD is just inserted no RAID) you need to migrate RAID 0 to RAID 1 this in case you created a RAID 0 - you can test rebooting server and press F8 during POST when Embedded SATA controller comes up so you can check for sure if there is a RAID 0

other point in you create a RAID 1 with 1 250 GB HDD and another 500HDD just to let you know you will loose 250 GB which means money but this is up to you

so points
be sure RAID/SATA was enabled if was enabled
it means you configured a RAID 0 initially pressing F8 when SATA came up on POST and you manually configured RAID 0

if you did it you have a RAID 0 if not you have a 250 HDD in JBOD (no RAID) and of course since RAID/SATA capability was not enabled the storage manager won't recognize controller

bye
stelgr

hi,

Since I am not at the server's location (remote connection), I can't access the bios.

Is there a document that shows the RAID array creation wizard screenshots step-by-step, so I can have an assistant setup and configure the RAID array?

Thanks again for your help.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

see the attached file

anything else let me know
stelgr

Many thanks for your kind support Karlo.

I have a last question -- when the new RAID1 Array is set-up, with 2 HDD's, do I lose all data on the First HDD? Right now the first HDD (the one I want to mirror) already has ~10GB of data.

If we have to lose the data can I just use Norton Ghost to take a full image of the first disk and then restore it after the Array is setup?

Thank you
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

similar situation here

take a look

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1286965&admit=109447627+1226525715756+28353475

bye