108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G6 Partitioning has failed exceeds max allowable size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Meppy
Occasional Advisor

ML150 G6 Partitioning has failed exceeds max allowable size

Brand new ML150 G6, when using the smart start CD that came with the server to install Windows 2008 R2 x64 Enterprise Core to use as HyperV server, I get the following error when it goes to partition the disk:

"Partitioning has failed - unable to continue : Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ... OK Warning given size (81923) exceeds the max allowable size (48960) sfdisk: bad input"

The server has a 2TB logical disk (4x750GB SAS drives in RAID 5 array). I cannot work out why I am getting this error other than the size of the logical disk causing a problem for the command HP use for their script.

I have searched for any information about this error but so far nothing. The script defaults to a much larger disk size (500GB) so my 80GB partition should not be a problem.

Any ideas on how to get around this issue other than doing a manual install direct from the Windows disk?
8 REPLIES 8
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I'm not familiar with the ML150 G6 or the array controller that it uses, but it occurs to me that it may be possible to create, not one, but two logical drives within the RAID-5. Most array controllers have this capability, and assuming that WS08 is having an issue with the large logical disk, installing to a smaller logical disk should allow the installer to continue.

Try to stay away from partitions if you can, and instead create additional logical drives or new arrays for each. Use the hardware's capabilities first, and if the hardware doesn't have all the features you need, then resort to software implementations. I think you'll see an install process with fewer quirks.
Meppy
Occasional Advisor

The problem has turned out to be a limitation with MBR, which is 2TB. I can change the disk to GPT but then Windows will not install and changes the drive back to GPT. Therfore it is impossible to install Windows on a drive larger than 2TB (keep in mind that I don't mean using the entire 2TB for Windows, even if you partition you still have problems with the bit above 2TB).

Two possible solutions, multiple logical drives or "virtual drives" from the Array Configuration Utility, or ignore the lost/extra space.

The controller I am using is a p410, it does not seem to support multiple logical disks over the one array or virtual drives so am a bit stuck. I only have 4 drives so splitting it into two arrays is not going to work either unfortunately.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor
Solution

OK, I see what you're saying.

I'm pretty sure the SA-P410 will have the ability to create multiple logical disks on a single RAID-5 array. Here's the catch--you can't do it from the ORCA (F8). Boot from the SmartStart CD and select Array Configuration Utility. In there you'll see the more advanced configuration options that you'll need. Delete the existing logical drives on the existing RAID-5. Create a new logical drive (I think you mentioned 80GB), reboot and then try to install the OS. Following the OS installation use the Array Configuration Utility to create a second logical drive in the array that uses the remainder of the free space in the array.

This can be done from the SA-P400, and I don't think it would be different in the SA-P410.
Meppy
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I just tried this, I should have known it works as had done this with older 641 controllers... I was hesitating at reinstalling Windows again but that is not that big a deal so have started that process and this will resolve my problems. Thanks, points given! Much faster and more logical answer than what I received from HP support.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Glad to hear it worked as expected!

You have a couple of options for the greater than 2TB data drive--GPT or a Dynamic Disk. They both have their pro's and con's depending on whether you need failover clustering or not.
Meppy
Occasional Advisor

As I have 4x750GB SAS disks the data drive ends up just under 2TB so no problems there thanks. My experience over the last 2 days trying to figure this out has taught me all about GPT anyway which is not a bad thing I guess, now if only the HP Easy Setup (the ML150 cut down smart start) would accept my Windows disk when I insert it...
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

If it weren't Core, I would say it would be easy to just install the PSP (ProLiant Support Pack) after the OS installation. I have no idea about the PSP with Core.

Wait. Is there a PSP for the ML150 G6 series?
Meppy
Occasional Advisor

Ah the joys of these low end servers, all my customers run ML350 or bigger or DL servers. I only run an ML150 in house because I am small and have a home office. The ML150 is a perfect size machine.

There is no PSP, you have to download everything individually and then sometimes you have to do a bit more digging to get the best/latest/correct drivers. It is not uncommon to find drivers on the support page for the server to not be applicable.

I have decided against Core after a bit of reading and playing around yesterday, too hard and too much learning curve for me so I will stick with full Enterprise install. Doing that manually now and all is well.