1748275 Members
3755 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML150 G6 Won't Turn On

JamesLICT
Occasional Visitor

ML150 G6 Won't Turn On

Out of Warranty HP ProLiant ML150 G6 Server will not turn on.

Solid green on power source.

Solid amber power button. 

There is a solid green LED on the board that is marked "LED1" with "R13" just below it. 

UID solid blue.

Changed CMOS battery.

Reset button on board.

Would hate to throw this away if it can be fixed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Best,

James

3 REPLIES 3
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Support page for ML150 G6 is at:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=3884323

Page 96 of the Maintenance and Service Guide lists the status LEDs. Amber system power indicates system is in standby or system is off but has power. I can't find any reference to the on board LED, but if the system will not power up, I would disconnect the power source and reseat all components. If that fails, then pull out components and try to boot with minimal hardware. You may also want to recover the BMC using the jumper.

JamesLICT
Occasional Visitor

@Edwin Eppel

I have gone through all these troubleshooting steps today, with no success.

This server has very little wear and tear and looks pristine inside and out. One last question, Is it possible that the powersource is bad, even though it has a solid green light and I am getting the amber standby light in front and UID in the back? In your opinion, should I cut my losses and walk away or purchase a new motherboard?

Thanks so much for your earlier response.

James

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

If it's multiple CPU, I would leave in just one CPU and one stick of RAM and disconnect the drives (maybe even disconnect the drive cage ande back plane). It should at least power up and display a post message. If it does not turn on, then it's likely the power supply or motherboard. If the power supply LED is green and you're getting diagnostic LEDs on the motherboard, I would lean towards the motherboard, but used power supplies are relatively inexpensive. I picked up one from Integrity Global Solutions for a ML350 G6 for $75. If it uses the removable power supply, then you can run dual supplies or keep one as a spare. ;) If it has dual CPUs, you can try each one individually. I'm not sure whether a working CPU is a requirement for power on and post messages.

How much time and money you put into it is up to you and whether it's in a production, development or hobby environment. 10 years is getting old for a production unit, but for development and hobby use the used parts market can be good enough.