1753479 Members
4898 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G6 and Citrix XenServer 5.5

hpnewbie_1

ML150 G6 and Citrix XenServer 5.5

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has successfully installed XenServer 5.5 (free) on a new ML150 G6 server please with RAID configured please? Not having much luck.

- Have enabled RAID and set to first boot priority in BIOS
- Have 4 physical disks assigned to one array and one logical drive. Can confirm this in Array BIOS/ACU

However, when loading XenServer 5.5 install, when it asks for disk location to install, it displays the 4 physical drives only and not the logical drive on the RAID array. And if I proceed and complete install, it won't obviously boot either.

According to QuickSpecs, this server is supposed to support XenServer. However, have also talked to support and they say yes but version 5.0 Update 3. But, 5.0 doesn't seem to be downloadable now anyway. For a new server, would have expected 5.5 to install no problem.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Seems like a driver issue then in Xen if it doesn't find the logical drive.

About the boot thing, did you check the boot controller order in BIOS?
hpnewbie_1

RAID is definately set up properly as per documented HP instructions. Boot order default with CD first, disk second. Disk defined on the same page in BIOS as RAID rather than a particular physical disk which used to be default.

Have tried XenServer 5.0 as well now, same problem, physical drives listed rather than the logical drive on the RAID array.

Either the HP server specs and XenServer compatibility chart are wrong or I am missing something here...
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, yes something seems to be missing if the 5.0 update 3 doesn't work either..

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/citrix/hpcitrixcert.html

^^ Is the link that says it is supported.
It says that it has to be the "retail" version. Are there different versions of the xenServer?

What kind of controller do you have?
Is it possible to load a driver manually during the xenserver boot/installation?
Maybe red hat/suse drivers work in Xen too?
It's not that one of the drives you see is the logical drive? Or that you have to specify the drive manually with like /dev/xx?

Neither the b110i or the p410 have xenserver drivers listed as downloads.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3958194тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3958193&taskId=135

and

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3883931тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3883890&taskId=135

Maybe it would be a good idea to talk with HP again and see if they can assist you further.
hpnewbie_1

Hi Johan,

Exactly why I am so confused, it shouldnt be this difficult if the o/s is listed in the specs.

The controller is a B110i and as you have mentioned, there are no drivers. I have tried the RHEL 5 one as well but the installation does not pick it up.

Basically cannot see the logical drive in the installation destination options provided but can see each physical drive listed instead.

I am going to talk to some more advanced HP support today hopefully to get this resolved.
MStoumba
Frequent Advisor

Had the same issue with other linux versions
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah, did you ever solve it Mike?
hpnewbie_1

I have been told various things so far but hopefully will have some answers soon. If anyone has any other ideas... ?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

hpnewbie_1

Thanks, yep that is an answer. But unfortunately doesn't really satisfy why HP would in their o/s matrices and official specs say specifically that Citrix XenServer (retail) is supported even vs other versions such as HP embedded/integrated Citrix.