1753437 Members
4844 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G6 fan VERY loud

Sahalu
Occasional Advisor

ML150 G6 fan VERY loud

Help, I am going crazy with the high fan noise of the ML 150 G6. I did the ROMPAQ update, but it didn't make any difference at all.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
asqwq
Regular Advisor

hi
dou you sure all of your fan work correctly ?
if you sure please update all of the component with maintenance 8.6(available in hp website) and say to me what hapend?
best regards
SahaluS
Occasional Advisor

thanks for your response. what is the URL to the latest maintenance you mentioned?
asqwq
Regular Advisor

SahaluS
Occasional Advisor

thank you very much!
JuanK_1
Advisor

Hi Shalu. I hope that you are doing well.

Please try applying the latest The latest BIOS revision for this equipment. Then bring it down and disconnect power cables and remove power supplies. Keep the Server like that during a few minutes and then reconnect the fans and power supplies.

Brin the Server up and also verify if this Document can help you out:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01790082&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

It is for the G5s but please consider to upgrade the LO100 Firmware as well.

Regards.
SahaluS
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Juan! Hope you are well.

The 150 GS6, unlike the G5, does not have a removable LO100 firmware, so I can't remove it, as it is built-in on the MoBo.

I also have not enabled the LO100 in the Bios, so I don't believe updating the driver would make any difference. For example, I even tried to update the LO100 firmware, but the server said it could not update a device which is not installed or enable in the server. In other words, because I have not enabled the LO100 in the Bios, the server does not see it, so updating the driver is not even possible for a device that has been disabled in the Bios. At this point, I have no need for the LO100, I dont do any remote management.

I have been talking to HP for several days now, and they have scheduled a MoBo replacement. Will update this post after the MoBo is replaced. I am beginning to suspect, the issue is with the particular model, and there's nothing actually wrong with the fans, just designed that way. I may end-up returning the Server and getting something else, that does not make this much noise. Unfortunately I have spent lots of money and time upgrading the Server. Not happy about the situation at all, either way, it is costing me money and time.

I have this in a small office, if it was in a server room, it wouldnt be such a big deal But in an office it is WAY too loud.

Thanks again Juan and everybody that has chipped-in. Will update if anything changes and after speaking with the HP engineer, they may have some useful information or advice regarding the system.
Kirk MacLean_2
Frequent Advisor

What is the final prognosis for the use of a ML 150 G6 in a small office environment?

We are considering putting one of these in an executive office environment. Now another direction sounds more appealing to the ear.

Which fan makes the noise?

Thank you,

- Ackmac
Sahalu
Occasional Advisor

It is an excellent server, and by far better priced than any Dell alternative I have seen. But I found it excessively noisy. This thing sounds like a small jet, especially when it is sitting next to you. I ran all the patches and updates, nothing worked. I don't understand why a cooling fan has to be that noisy.

HP should take note and do something about this problem. All my clients are small businesses with limited space; a server like this sitting in an office next to a bunch of people is not going to work.

By the way, I would buy it again in a heartbeat, (from PC Connection) if the fan noise is fixed by HP.

PC Connection was extremely gracious for taking the machine back and refunding my full purchase price, without taking the 15%restocking fees or any hassle at all.

Since you have 30 day return policy, you may want to check it out for yourself. Some people are able to ignore the noise, especially since the noise somewhat drops off when fully booted. PC Connection told me the G6 is one of their best sellers and I can see why: great server, great pricing and great HP customer service/support.
Sahalu
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, forgot to mention, HP sent a technician to replace the MoBO. Once he heard the server, he said, changing the MoBO was not going to make a difference, just the way they are designed. Asked him if he knew why the fans have to be that noisy, he said, he was clueless as well.