ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752730 Members
5696 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ML150 G6 fan connector pinouts for replacing noisy HP fans with regular silent fans?

vibe666

ML150 G6 fan connector pinouts for replacing noisy HP fans with regular silent fans?

I'm trying to figure out how to replace the ridiculously noisy HP fans in this server, but the motherboard connectors for the fans are 6pin, not the usual 3pin that you would normally see on most PC case fans.

I've also replaced the small fanless CPU heatsinks with larger ones with room for fans to be attached, but I'm at a loss to figure out how I need to connect the fans to the motherboard.

Is there a guide or any other information on how to wire a regular 3pin fan into the 6pin connectors on the ML150 motherboard?

thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ML150 G6 fan connector pinouts for replacing noisy HP fans with regular silent fans?

Hi,

ProLiant ML150 G6 Server is based on Intel 5500 chipset.

My guess is that you could get the pin out information from Intel data sheet or diagrams of this chipset.

Good Luck!

Thank You!

I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

fpvdrif6
Occasional Contributor

Re: ML150 G6 fan connector pinouts for replacing noisy HP fans with regular silent fans?

Are the fans currently running at full speed? If so I have seen this issue previously. I am pretty sure it was caused by mismatching firmware versions. So updating the BIOS and lights-out firmwares corrected it. The server should be nice and quiet.

Otherwise if the fans are playing up, good luck finding that pinout info!