cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML150 G6 w/ P212 and ESXi 4

Andy Baran
Occasional Contributor

ML150 G6 w/ P212 and ESXi 4

I have just bought an ML150 G6 w/ a P212 (zero memory) controller. I've succesfully loaded HP's build of ESXi but I get core dumps after about 5 minutes.

Do I need to be using the vanilla version from VMware as opposed to HP's?

I did purchase more memory from HP so it could be a bad chip. I have not been able to find where I can tell the BIOS to run the standard memory tests at boot-up though. Do you know where this is located? Will I be able to watch the status of the test?

Thanks for any help!
6 REPLIES
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: ML150 G6 w/ P212 and ESXi 4

hi,

use ESXi directly form Vmware.

mikap
u84823
Regular Advisor

For testing memory, boot from a Vista or Windows 7 CD, select recovery and there's a good memory diagnostic tool in there.

Re server, yes you need the vanilla version for this server. The insight agents are causing it to crash because it lacks the underlying monitoring hardware.

Secondly you need a different array controller, specifically an E-series (E200) with battery-backed write-cache fitted. Expect APPAULING performance without the battery.

HTH
u84823
Regular Advisor

Actually to correct my earlier post, the P212 should be fine BUT it does NEED the BBWC installed. For part numbers see http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13203_div/13203_div.pdf.

For interest, see info in this vmware thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1338919
Andy Baran
Occasional Contributor

Bummer, that's frustrating. I just tried ESXi 3.5u4 and it looks like the onboard NIC is not supported :(. Looks like I'll be buying a BBWC this week.
TheBoy
Occasional Advisor

The PSOD (Purple Screen Of Death) is because the HP CIM agents crash ESX if certain hardware is not present.

I have an ML110 G5 with a P400, and found it unbelievable that you could not monitor the health of the disks in the array, so I came up with this procedure:

http://forum.lettronics.com/forums/thread/1273.aspx

I hope that helps you with your quest.
Andy Baran
Occasional Contributor

Since I wasn't going to be able to get my hands on a BBWC till Monday (it's Sunday morning here) I decided to go ahead and see what would happen if I proceeded with VMWare's vanilla build of ESXi 4.0 on my P212 zero mem. It has been running for over 24 hours now memory :)

In that time I have done a P2V conversion of a Windows SBS 2003 machine and am currently migrating to Windows SBS 2008. All of the installation media is astored on drives directly attached to the P212; I am beating on the array pretty heavily and ESXi has not crashed yet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will update this thread in the coming days.