5695 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G6 with boot up black screen.

SOLVED
Go to solution
smallbus1

ML150 G6 with boot up black screen.

The first time I had this issue was after all Microsoft updates. I updated the BIOS and RAID controller firmware and everything was fine for 2 weeks. No other updates have been added, and now it happened again. I do not know how to uninstall drivers.

Any advice would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor
Solution

could be the system starts with a resolution unsupported by the connected display.
This default resolution may have been changed by the updates on the first occasion.

- you can try an RDP session from a workstation using the command "mstsc /console" and change the resolution of the console.
- you can get into the menu of the display so it will display the resolution when a signal is received?
- try another display with higher resolution.
- Do you use a KVM switch?
if so try bypassing this and connect the display directly to the system.

I have exactly the same problems, but with 2 servers.

The server will not load the services either. Not possible to ping the server.
If you select "load bios default" in the bios, then the server will boot up normally, but only until the next time you boot it.
smallbus1

Thank you for your help. This is the first server that I have built.

could be the system starts with a resolution unsupported by the connected display.
This default resolution may have been changed by the updates on the first occasion.

I had applied the fix after the
Microsoft updates. No Microsoft updates
were implemented after the BIOS and
controller update. If I had a resolution
issue, then it would have happened
immediately and not two weeks later.

- you can try an RDP session from a workstation using the command "mstsc /console" and change the resolution of the console.

The last image I see is the Windows 2003
server splash screen.

- you can get into the menu of the display so it will display the resolution when a signal is received?

1024 x 680

- try another display with higher resolution.

My LG monitor is only 3 months old.

- Do you use a KVM switch?
if so try bypassing this and connect the display directly to the system.

Bypassed the KVM with no change.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>>

The last image I see is the Windows 2003
server splash screen.
<<<

I make the assumption that the server finnishes it's boot (after the splash screen and after the display goes "black") but encouters a problem with the display.
If this is the case the server could be normally accessible over the network for remote management using remote desktop or other management tools.

Did you try using F8 after POST before windos start and select booting in vga-mode or safe mode?
smallbus1

The default resolution was 1028 x 1024. Just to be safe, I changed the resolution to 1024 x 768. The resolution may be the difference. I replaced the Nanya NT2GC72B8PA0NF-CG, ECC, 2GB RAM with the Corsair XMS3 DDR3 - 1333 (PC10666)4GB RAM, non-ECC, with the new resolution and the black screen appears again.
As an additional test, I changed the resolution to 800 x 600 with the same black screen error when using the Corsair memory only.
I will exchange my Corsair RAM for another brand or design and retest.
For now, I am convinced that the Corsair RAM is the issue since the changing of resolution from 1028 x 1024 to 1024 x 768 and to 800 x 600 will still produce the black screen after viewing the Server 2003 splash screen.