1753723 Members
4899 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 Gen9 - FANS and PSU FAN on when server is shutdown

DrewW
Occasional Visitor

ML150 Gen9 - FANS and PSU FAN on when server is shutdown

I recently upgraded one of my lab servers to a ML150 Gen9 and noticed that when the server is shutdown the PSU Fan is still on (iLO says the server is off). Is this normal and apart from turning the server off at the wall is there a way for the server to actually be shutdown i.e no fans, but iLO is still accessible?

Also is is it possible to turn off the full blast (Blow out?) fan noise on system power up/post? I know it goes away after couple of minutes, but its extremley loud for a server in a house:)

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Re: ML150 Gen9 - FANS and PSU FAN on when server is shutdown

Hi Drew,

When there is power supplied to the power supply the power supply fan wil start to work. This auxiliary power allows you to access the ILO even when the server is powered down. So that only workaround is to remove the power cable or disonnect from the power outlet but that will cause you to disconnect from ILO as well.

Regarding the fan full speed during post is also as per design to make sure that all the fans are working and making sure colling is adequeate and after this will reduce the fan speed to accomodate the cooling required.

Both of these are as per design and cannot be changed. Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
DrewW
Occasional Visitor

Re: ML150 Gen9 - FANS and PSU FAN on when server is shutdown

Previous HP servers I have had didn't spin the PSU Fan, so it wasn't expected behaviour.

Thanks for the reply.