5050 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 Noice Levels

wobbe
Respected Contributor

ML150 Noice Levels

Hello,

I want to buy an ML150 G2 and use it in my office but I'm a bit worried about the noise these servers will produce. Does anybody have any experience with this? I want to use al leased 3 7200 SATA disks probably more and no one will be seated next to the server ItтАЩs going to be used for backup purposes.

Kind regards,

Wobbe
4 REPLIES 4
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Wobbe,

The ML150's are barely louder than a desktop. They look like and are designed very similar to a desktop. They have 1 120mm fan and 1 92mm fan. The only other noise would be the drives, but since they are internal and not hot plug, their noise is fairly minimal.

I was trying to find an actual decibel rating, but I couldn't. It may not be available for this server. If i come across it, I will post it for you.

Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Chris,

There is some info in the tech manual but it's a bit confusing. Follow the link below and check for acoustic noise. I would expect a figure in db. Somewhere below 45db would be acceptable but the figures in the tech spec are much lower.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12092_na/12092_na.HTML

Also the SATA model has hot puggable disks so it might be a bit more noisy.

Kind regards,

Wobbe
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Wobbe,

I did a bit of searching on google and found this:

A decibel is a tenth of a bel: 1 B = 10 dB

The quickspecs you listed are rated in bels. If I understand this correctly at it's loudest, this server should be around 60 decibels.

Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
wobbe
Respected Contributor

60 decibels is rather high. I've read somewhere that 45 db in a office a about the limit. Above the 45 it become a nuisance.