1752777 Members
6166 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 Raid 1 resize

J. Muurling
Advisor

ML150 Raid 1 resize

We have a ML150 server with MS SBS2003 on it. This server is our domain controler and mail server.
The system is configured as Raid 1. When we installed this sytem we used 2 drives of 130 GB. In the meantime these 2 original drives were broken (one at a time) and we replaced each disk with a bigger one.
The controler is a onboard SAS controler.

The problem now is that a lot of the capacity is not used.
I want to increase the RAID 1 size.
It looks that this is not possible with the MegaRAID Storage Manager, but it sees that the disks we used are 279GB.

What can I do to increase the RAID 1 size?
If you need more information please let me know.
Thanks in advance for the help.
6 REPLIES 6
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could change RAID 1 to RAID 10 by adding two drives. Call LSI Logic, the MegaRAID can expand arrays. You might need a firmware upgrade. You can add two more SAS drives same size and expand. the only catch is did you enable coercion algorithm on the MegaRAID. If not, it could be a problem expanding the array.

The second choice is adding a second RAID 1 array and moving your apps/data to it. Leave the OS on the first array only.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Once you change to RAID 10, you need to expand the Windows partition. You have to move the paging file off of that array. You can't expand a logical partition with a paging file on it. That is why adding a second RAID 1 array and moving your apps/data is a better choice.
J. Muurling
Advisor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for you answers but the thing is that I replaced the 2 small broken disks for 2 new bigger disks.
I just want to resize the current mirror.

Is it an idea to:
- convert the mirror to a JBOD
- create a new mirror from the JBOD
or are there better ideas?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Leave it RAID 1 for redundancy. You might need to remove the paging file to expand the Windows partition. 2008 R2 can expand a non-paging partition. You might need Server Magic or a tool from Acronis to expand the Windows OS partition on SBS 2003.

http://www.partition-magic-server.com/partition-magic/partition-magic-sbs-2003.html

J. Muurling
Advisor

Hi Michael,

I checked the system but in MegaRaid I see the actual size of physicaldisks (each 279 GB). The logical size of the mirror is 135 GB and I cannot see how I can resize the logical mirror.
To resize the partition I have to increase the mirror first, or not?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You would need to expand the MegaRAID array first or create a second array and move applications to it. What options do you have in the MegaRAID to expand the array? Which MegaRAID controller is it.

I usually do one array per RAID set. Backup first. Once you expand the array, you can expand the Windows partition using a third party tool.