108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 drive problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ed Fielder
Occasional Advisor

ML150 drive problem

I purchased a ML150 with hotswap drives and RAID controller. When I do a drive scan all drives are accounted for, but when I set up the array it says one is missing and there is a loud tone. During post a message appers that the array is bad and will be degraded and the system boots. I have a SCSI card that came with the system and all drives can be seen this is true of the RAID card all drives can be seen as well as scanned and formatted.
Opinions: bad drive or bad array controller
3 REPLIES 3
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML150 drive problem

Sounds as if one of the drives has been marked as bad. You need to identify which one, which slot, remove it and reinsert it. Let the controller attempt to rebuild the array. If it still fails then the drive is too bad to continue and must be replaced
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

What light patterns do you have on the disks? Is this a live system or a new one? i.e. can you swap drives around or remove one and recreate an array etc for diagnostics purposes.

I would try reseating the drives, array controller and cable as a starting point. If that doesn't work, my money is on the controller!
Ed Fielder
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Guys for the suggestions. The light on the bad drive is red and HP has been here and determined that the drive is bad and unfortunately for me(figures)they don't have any in the warehouse and can't tell me when any will be available. When I first received the system it had a SCSI controller in one of the slots. I had ordered a RAID controller but it came with no cable, so I set the system up using the first controller. At that time all the drives seemed to work and my problems didn't start until I installed the RAID controller. I have moved the drives around but I always get the same failure result and it is the same drive each time. So I am assuming it is a bad drive. I bought this server for a special project I was contracted to do and I am 3 weeks behind do to the problems I have encountered. About ready to send it back and call IBM.
Thanks again for your suggestions.