New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150G2, SATA 6 Port RAID - HDD LEDS Not Working

SOLVED
Go to solution
Antony Girgis
Advisor

ML150G2, SATA 6 Port RAID - HDD LEDS Not Working

Hi,

I've just purchased a ML150G2 with optional 6 Port SATA Raid Controller. After plugging all in, everything is working fine except for the LEDS on the Hard Drives.

I have 2 SATA 80GB drives installed, configured as RAID 1. Neither the hard drive LEDS on the individual drives work nor does hard drive activity LED on the case work.

So far, I have connected the I2C cable from the RAID controller to the drive back plane, tried swapping the I2C connector around in case I had it plugged in back to front, I've upgraded the system BIOS and also the RAID controller BIOS.

I'm not sure what else to do to get the LEDs working on the hard drives. When I power on and power off the server, the lights on the hard drives flash very briefly.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards
Antony Girgis
13 REPLIES 13
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help, but according to the Maintenance and Service guide, page 2-12, there should be two cables going from the SATA controller to the backplane.

http://h50224.www5.hp.com/TechCenter_StaticArticle/25872/24790.pdf

Cheers,
Rob
Antony Girgis
Advisor

Thanks Rob, but I believe the diagram refers to the original SATA controller that is shipped with the machine, and not the optional 6-port RAID controller.

Thanks anyway,
Regards
Antony
e4services
Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter if it is the "original SATA" or not, there still needs to be a SATA LED cable to the backplane to control the lights.
HD lights come from the controller not the drive itself. The LED on the drives themselves simply show activity.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Antony Girgis
Advisor

Thanks for the response, but there's no where to connect a normal LED cable on the SATA 6 Port RAID Controller. That's the intention of the I2C cable would be my guess and according to the documentation.

Looking around the forums it seems like this issue with the ML 150 G2 has popped up a bit with the solution being to replace the SATA back plane.

Regards
Antony
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Antony,

Check the following advisory also please.

It has some more detail regarding the 12C connection to the backplane.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0713W

Brian
Antony Girgis
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I had a HP engineer around to look at it this morning. He replaced the SATA back plane but the lights still did not work.

He will return with some more parts...

Regards & Thanks
Antony
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

1. If you use hot Plug Cage ├в what Slot ID used for both Drives? Make sure from 0 and up

2. Firmware Up to Date ?
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/23556.html

Antony Girgis
Advisor

Hi,

It's hot pluggable, and yeah, tried using the opposite end of the bays. The ML 150 has it's bays numbered from 1 to 6, the bottom most being # 1. Swapped the drives around and although the drives themselves seem to be working fine, the LEDS show no sign of life (apart from powering up & off the machine).

Thanks for your suggestion though. Hopefully the HP engineer will return with some good news in the not so distant future.

Regards
Antony