1753779 Members
7725 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150G3 SATA/SAS Controller

Dan King - WY
Occasional Advisor

ML150G3 SATA/SAS Controller

I am setting up a new server and having issues getting the drives to load during the Windows Server 2003 setup. I have created the drive in the controller and the BIOS sees the drives with no problems. The lights on the drives (SATA) are green.

I load the driver using F6 and the system can not see the drives. The driver I am using is cp007813.exe Can anyone shed some light on what is wrong here.

Thanks!
Dan
16 REPLIES 16
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Dan King - WY
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, I should have clarified that this box has the E200 Sata/SAS Raid controller. We are not using the on board controller.

Dan
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

did you unzip the file (.exe) in a floppy and you are using a floppy drive hp branded?

because the one you're using is the correct one
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27348.html

see the list supported

Smart Array B400I Controller
Smart Array P800 Controller
Smart Array P600 Controller
Smart Array P400 Controller
Smart Array P400I Controller
Smart Array E500 Controller
Smart Array E200 Controller
Smart Array E200I Controller

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Macchi

Hello Dan,
I recomend you several things:
1. Try to use HP USB Floppy drive, otherwise the server will not recognize third party USB floppy drive. Try to use a HP product.
2. HP has a product that simulate a USB key to work as a floppy drive, you can download this application at the following address:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23839.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
3. The last option, use the nliteos application, you can download it at www.nliteos.com, this application will create windows installation CD with all the drivers you will need to install the server, just download for the HP website and extract, then use this application.
I hope this will help you.
Regards,
Gregory Bennett

I am currently setting up the same server. and would like to know if there isn't and HP Smart Start CD to configure the raid or do you have to use the drivers that are situated on the support CD. I am use to this being the case on the other servers i've setup of HP's eg. DL 380's.
Dan King - WY
Occasional Advisor

Then I am completely lost. I spent 3+ hours on the phone yesterday with HP Tech Support and still have gotten no where. Very agrivated at this point. Why not have a smart start CD for your 100 series servers? Wouldn't that save tech support calls and aggrivated customers?? I usually buy 300 series but did not need the power for this server.

Here are the steps I have taken so far..

Verified that the drives are indead attached to the backplane and connected to the add-on SATA/SAS Raid Controller (Nothing is plugged into the on board controller ports..)

Disabled the on board SATA Raid Controller through the BIOS.

Created the RAID 1 Mirror of the two 80 GB SATA Drives. Used F8 to enter the BIOS of the the SAS/SATA RAID Controller. When booting, it shows the 1 virtual drive, which is correct.

I have created a floppy and attempted to load (Do not have an HP USB Floppy), buit I do see the system reading the USB Drive when it loads the driver.

I have also used the NLIteOS software and created a load with the driver and still no go.

After 3 hours on the phone with HP Support and the tech telling me things that did not make sense, I hung up and brought the machine back from the customers to my office so I can get this server working, instead of looking like a fool in front of the customer.

I will attempt the USB Thing..

Anyone have any ideas??

Dan
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

what error did you get using nlite?

you just include the driver in the link I gave you

you create the iso image include the driver when nlite ask for it and that's it.

tell us what did you get using nlite?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Are you using the HP SAS/SATA 4 in 1 cable, part # 438160-B21?

From the quickspecs this is a required cable to get the E200 controller working.

What is the part number on the cable you are using?
Dan King - WY
Occasional Advisor

Using Nlite, I got the Drives not found error when attmpting to load Windows Server 2003.

I did only add the drivers to the NLite CD as per the instructions..

This server is HP's part number 430767-005 . The only thing added is the 2 80 GB Sata Hot Plug Drives.

Dan