ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753559 Members
5777 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML1850R S.M.A.R.T predictive failure.

Andrew Davies_2
Advisor

ML1850R S.M.A.R.T predictive failure.

We have an ML1850R running Sco 5.0.5. At the moment the server contains only one disk, we now have CIM indicating a SMART predictive failure on that drive.
My question is, how difficult would it be to add a second disk and mirror the first. What would be the procedure if it was possible?. Any other suggestions would be helpfull.
7 REPLIES 7
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Do you have a Smart Array controller ? If yes you could to a RAID0 to RAID1 migration (if your Smart Array model supports that).

I don't know how to configure software RAID with SCO.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

BTW sometimes these SMART predictive failures can be cured by upgrading the drive firmware.
Andrew Davies_2
Advisor

The model we have, has an onboard Dual Channel SCSI-3 controller, there is no Smart Array controller.

I will have a look through the drivers section for a firmware upgrade to this SCSI drive, thanks for the suggestion.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Andrew,
I have seen predictive failure on the hdds with older firmware. Here is the link to download the firmware:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17149.html

This softpaq requires you to make about 10 diskettes. But don't make all those. Just make the very first disk. Cold boot the system and then it will tell you as to which other disks you would need.

Regards,
Andrew Davies_2
Advisor

Sunil thank you for the link,

After applying the softpaq and rebooting the system, will this clear the predictive failure message from CIM.

The drive in question is a BD009635CB running firmware version BDC4, (9.1GB SCSI)

Regards Andrew
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Andrew,
Yes this should clear that errenous message. But since you have mentioned that this is a 9.1GB hdd then before you use the previous link I have posted please apply the following patch. Especially 9.1 GB hdd use to be pretty popular for having the predictive failure like the one you are encountering. Anyways here is the link and all the best: If this one does not fix your problem then use the previous link I provided you with.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10468.html

Regards,
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: cure predictive failure

The firmware monitors certain drive parameters. If they exceed certain values then it assumes that the drive may fail in the future and issues a warning.

There are older firmware versions which report false warnings. A drive firmware update cures that.

But there could also be a real drive problem. If you upgrade the firmware and you still get these warnings then the drive may fail and should be replaced.