1753501 Members
3751 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML30 Gen10. Question about storage option

stef70
Occasional Contributor

ML30 Gen10. Question about storage option

For my home-office I have been using a Microserver G8 since years and now it is time to replace it.
Unfortunately the new Microserver Gen10 is not for me... no Intel CPU, no iLO... no way and then I am moving to a ML30 Gen10.

I am not going to use the embedded software RAID.

The tech specs say the max internel storage is 4 x  4TB non hot plug LFF SATA and 4 x 12 TB hot plug LFF SATA.

It is very very strange a year 2019 server can not accept HDD more than 4 TB...

Why this difference between hot plug and non hot plug? what is the story? Maybe it is a limitation from the software RAID I am not going to use?

5 REPLIES 5
Suvamay
HPE Pro

Re: ML30 Gen10. Question about storage option

Greetings!!

Below are internal drives option available...

Maximum Internal Storage
Capacity Configuration
Hot Plug LFF SAS 56 TB 4 x 14 TB
Hot Plug LFF SATA 56 TB 4 x 14 TB
Hot Plug SFF SAS 19.2 TB 8 x 2.4 TB
Hot Plug SFF SATA 16 TB 8 x 2 TB
Non Hot Plug LFF SATA 24 TB 4 x 4 TB + 2 x 4 TB (with additional optional LFF drive enablement kits)
Hot Plug LFF SATA SSD 7.68 TB 4 x 1.92 TB
Hot Plug SFF SAS SSD 3.2 TB 8 x 400 GB
Hot Plug SFF SATA SSD 61.44 TB 8 x 7.68 TB
M.2 NVMe SSD 480 GB 1 x 480 GB
NOTE: M.2 SSD is applicable to all models.

For more information please check below quickspecs for ML30 Gen10

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00053821enus

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
stef70
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately I know the document you are suggesting to me, but there is something NOT CLEAR at all.

Let me explain: I have the old Microserver G8 and also this old one has declared by HPE limitations on HDD size, but there is no problem at all installing higher capacity HDD. The story is that it depends if you want to use or not RAID.

If no RAID is used, then you can install HDD with higher capacity, but in case you need to use the RAID, then you have to face with its limits, that are different.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your question is a little confusing. You said you're not going to use the included software RAID, which means you're planning on using a hardware controller like the E208i-p or P408i-p. In that case, you'd automatically be using the hot swap chassis which supports up to 14TB drives now. The 4TB limit is only because HPE doesn't offer a non hot swap drive over 4TB, but that doesn't apply to your scenario because you'd be using the hot swap drives/chassis with hardware RAID, based on your original post about not wanting to use the included software RAID.
stef70
Occasional Contributor

I try to explain better.

I still do not own the ML30, I have the old (but almost perfect) Microserver G8.
There are 3 settings in the Microserver: IDE, RAID, AHCI. If I remember well, using RAID (it should be the SW RAID provided embedded) there are some limitations on the HDD size, but with AHCI.. no and the proof is that I installed lot of HDD bigger than the declared limit without problem at all.

The question: in the ML30 G10, using AHCI (and not the embedded SW RAID), using NON HOT SWAP 3.5'' SATA HDD.... can I install HDD larger than 4 TB and can I use the full capacity of them? I am not going to boot the server from HDD but from the on-board USB (VMWare ESXi)

Anonymous
Not applicable

That would not be a supported config, since you'd be using non-HPE drives. Will it work? Probably. As long as you're cool with HPE not supporting should there be an issue.

Like I said, the 4TB limit listed is because HPE doesn't offer a non hot swap drive over 4TB. That also means they haven't tested and won't support what you'd like to do, but it could still work fine, you'd just be on your own, the same as with your Microserver.