cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML310, AIT IDE tapedrive & Windows 2003 SBS

Nigel Holmes
Occasional Contributor

ML310, AIT IDE tapedrive & Windows 2003 SBS

We have an IDE based ML310 server with Windows 2003 SBS installed and a Compaq AIT IDE 35 tapedrive. We are using Vertitas Backupexec 9.1 with all updates/patches applied.

We cannot get the tapedrive to work reliabily using either Veritas or Compaq tape drivers. It either does not see the drive or fails during the job - normally with CRC errors. We cannot get the the tape drive to work with Windows backup either - similar faults. We have put the drive into a Windows XP PC and have carried out backups successfully so we do not believe the drive to be faulty.

We have changed the ide cable and removed the CD drive from the IDE chain so the tapedrive is the only device. The tapedrive is seen in windows device manager without any problems. We are also running the latest firmware for both the ML310 and the Tapedrive.

Has anyone got this combination working or have any ideas what the problem may be?

Many Thanks,
Nigel
4 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: ML310, AIT IDE tapedrive & Windows 2003 SBS

Nigel,

If you haven't already tried the following please do so. Leave the CD disconnected and set the jumper on the AIT drive to MASTER, not CS. One other important firmware point is that the AIT must be at firmware 2.09. I know you have updated the firmware, but it must be 2.09 to address known issues with the ML310.

If the MASTER configuration works, add the CD as SLAVE by changing its jumper. I'll do some more investigation later today on this as we had a similar fault at a customer site recently and I can't remember exactly what fixed it.

The 2.09 firmware can be downloaded here if required.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_US〈=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=326888&prodSeriesId=326886&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=COL4576&locBasepartNum=co-15585-1&os=Microsoft+Windows+Server+2003&tech=Firmware

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Nigel,

Can you check the IDE ATA/ATAPI configuration within Device Manager in W2K3.
If you look at the properties of the IDE channel which owns the AIT35 unit, under "Advanced Settings" it should be set to "DMA if available" rather than PIO Only.

This was passed on by a colleague and worth checking.

Regards,

Brian

Nigel Holmes
Occasional Contributor

Brian,

Thanks for all your help on this one. We did upgrade to 2.09 having read problems elsewhere on the site! Also we did find things more reliable when the tape drive was master on the channel.

I will try the DMA setting and let you know how we get on!

Nigel
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Nigel,

One thing to be aware of as a consequence of setting the AIT tape unit to master on the IDE bus. I believe that you can't boot from CD any longer due to this. I'm sure the tape backup performance is a bigger issue however you should be aware of this should you require the CD to boot from.

Regards,

Brian