7735 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: [ML310 G1] Starting a RAID configuration

R.Hendriks
Occasional Contributor

[ML310 G1] Starting a RAID configuration

LS,

I have a ML310 G1 server which has the integrated ATA RAID controller. It now runs with one HD. I want to install a second HD and run RAID 1 so I can replace a failing drive by the mirrored one.

Since the server is running one HD stand alone, is it in RAID0 by default? Can I now add the second HD and switch to RAID1 without losing the data on the first HD? I have no experience with RAID configuration.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
e4services
Honored Contributor

That would be my take, with one drive, the BIOS should only and automaticaly select RAID0. And if you attached a second drive, you should have the choice to add it to the existing OR create a new RAID0.
The data on the original drive will not be effected. NOTE: On my workstation here, I replace my ATA RAID 1. New controller and new drives. Took one of my drives from the original RAID1 and attached it as a RAID0 single drive after the new RAID 1 just to have access to the original data. Works fine.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
R.Hendriks
Occasional Contributor

First: thanks for the reply. I have a question about it.

"And if you attached a second drive, you should have the choice to add it to the existing OR create a new RAID0."

What do you mean by 'add it to the existing'? Add the new drive to the existing RAID0 configuration and keep it RAID0 with two drives, OR convert the RAID0 configuration with one drive to a RAID1 configuration with two drives (the latter is what I want: mirroring drive 1 -> drive 2).
Bart Van Cutsem
Advisor

I'm absolutely not sure the LSI raid rom will leave your data untainted when adding a sibling drive and reconfiguring for raid1. I wouldn't bet on it.
R.Hendriks
Occasional Contributor

Bert, thanks for the reply. I guess I'm stuck in one of those situations where it seems logical that it'll work, but that people with experience with it have different opinions. Which in fact is a good thing and keeps me from having a false sense of security and go ahead with it anyway.

Guess I'll have to continue my search for a clear, definite answer. Maybe an engineer from HP/Compaq or LSI can give me the one and final answer (yes it'll work VS no you'll lose the data).