3942 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310 G1 boot problem

Frederic Hoornaert
Occasional Advisor

ML310 G1 boot problem

Hi,

I have a Compaq Proliant ML310 G1 Server.
This server has a standard onboard RAID Controller, which came out of factory with 1 IDE 40 GB Hard Disc.
Since the IDE Controller is limited to 137 Gb, I added an 4-Port Adaptec SATA PCI Raid Controller with 3x500 GB HD.
The IDE drive is still in the system and has Windows 2003 Server installed on it.
I would like to use the old 40 GB on the integrated IDE controller to boot the OS and configure this one in mirroring.
The 3x500 Gb on the SATA controller is for data only.
As long as I don't create a RAID array on the SATA controller, the system boots from the IDE controller, but as soon as I create a RAID Array on the SATA controller, the system tries to boot from this RAID array, which doesn't work because there is no OS installed on it.
In the BIOS I have checked and double-checked the boot order. It is configured to first boot from the integrated IDE RAID controller.
However, no matter what I specify in the BIOS, my settings are ignored. The system always tries to boot from the new RAID Array on the SATA controller.
When booting, it tries :
- Floppy
- CD ROM
- Hard disc "C"
- Network
I have no idea why it says "trying to boot from hard disc C".

My system has BIOS version D12 installed.
Is this a bug in this BIOS version ?
Is there a known workaround for this problem ?

Kind regards,
Frederic Hoornaert
9 REPLIES 9
Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

The system attempts the boot only from the first logical drive. If the 40 GB is configured as JBOD (No array no raid), remove the sata drives, and try configuring 40 GB drive as an array, logical drive with RAID 0. Install the OS. Insert the SATA drives. The array in the sata drives will become 2nd logical drive.

I hope the issue will be resolved.

Cheers,
Anand
Frederic Hoornaert
Occasional Advisor

The internal IDE RAID Controller with the 40Gb drive is allready configured as RAID-0.

The strange thing is, when I use the Compaq SmartStart CD to install the OS, the OS is automatically installed on the 40 Gb drive, even though the SATA drives are connected and configured.

When the SmartStart installation procedure ask to reboot the machine, it fails to boot since it tries to boot from the SATA controller instead of the internal RAID Array.

Kind regards,
Frederic
Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Launch RBSU and enable the ATA 100 Adapter for RAID configuration. If this is disabled, the server will detect the ATA drive as JBOD with out logical drive.

Delete the Array information from the SATA drives. Pull out the SATA drives.

After enabling the IDE RAID, configure a logical drive with RAID 0. (SATA Drives should not be present while configuring the IDE RAID 0)

Install the OS and drivers for the 4-Port Adaptec SATA PCI Raid Controller.

Turn off the server and insert the SATA hard drives.

Hope this will fix the issue. If not, you require a manual installation on the SATA drives.

Cheers,
Anand

Frederic Hoornaert
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Can you tell me what RBSU is ?
Is it the BIOS of the IDE Raid controller or the BIOS of the mainboard ?

As I mentioned earlier, the IDE Controller is allready configured under RAID 0.
I can only choose between 0, 1 and 0 + 1.

Just to make sure, how can I verify that it really is RAID 0 and not JBOD ?

Kind regards,
Frederic
Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Hi Frederic,

The RBSU is the system board BIOS. Check for the option to enable/disable the IDE RAID controller.

If enabled, hardware raid is possible. If disabled, the ports will work as normal IDE ATA slots and no hardware raid is applicable.

Remove the SATA drives and boot the server. If the IDE RAID controller says as "1" Logical drive detected, then it is RAID 0 configuration with array and logical drive.

If no such message appears and only a physical drive is detected, it is a JBOD. The drive is not in an array.

If the drive is not in an array, the boot controller order will have no effect over the IDE drive.

Regards,
Anand
Chris Brant
Visitor

Hi,

Sorry my reply is a long time after your original post, but I have the same issue and I was hoping you can advise how you resolved this?

I have a single ATA drive with the OS installed and I have added a PCI SATA controller card with two SATA drives attached. The system boots normally when the drives are not connected to the controller card, but when connected the system does not boot.

The sinlge ATA drive is installed as a RAID0 drive.

Thanks

Chris
Frederic Hoornaert
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

I couldn't resolve the problem.
I've tried all the tricks in my hat, even tried with a boot manager (installed boot manager on SATA discs which should boot OS from IDE controller) but I couldn't get it to work.

Finally, I istalled the OS on a small partition on the new SATA RAID controller and use the old 40 GB IDE drive as backup (Ghost image of OS)

Should you manage to get it working correctly, I'd like to know how you did it.
We're never to old to learn some additional tricks ...

Kind regards,
Frederic
Chris Brant
Visitor

Hi Frederic,

I got it to work yesterday and this is how I did it (hopefully in the correct order).

Firstly, I installed the SATA PCI card and booted into Windows to install the drivers.

Then I shut down, connected the HDD's and went into the SATA card configuration during boot up. I created a RAID0 partition. Shut down and disconnected the HDD's.

Then I rebooted and went into the BIOS and under "PCI Devices" I set the new SATA card to "Disabled" rather than IRQ5. This stops the BIOS of the SATA card loading so it boots from the IDE. I got this tip from another HP forum post which suggested using a switch on the SATA card to disable it as a boot device. My SATA card was cheap so didn't have one, but disabling it in the system BIOS seems to have done the same thing.

When it boots into Windows, the card is still seen, I guess Windows loads it later in the boot process.

Then I shut down and connected my SATA HDD's and when it booted into Windows I could create the partition and format it.

I can't now access the SATA card configuration because during boot up the SATA card configuration isn't shown, but I don't think I'll need to change the RAID config, unless I want to add more drives.

I'm not 100% sure how this works technically, but it works. I also logged a support case with HP (and was called to say I don't have a support contract for the server) so I did the above. However, I then got an email detailing the following steps:

1) In the system BIOS, go to Advanced Features.
2) There are two features "Load Option Card Devices First" and "Load Embedded Devices First". Choose the Embedded devices and reboot.

I haven't tested this yet as I had it working, but it something I will look into in the next week or so.

Hope one of the solutions above works for you.

Thanks

Chris
Frederic Hoornaert
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply !

I don't get it how window can use the card if it is disable by the BIOS, but if it works in your case, it should work in mine too.
I can't test this out right now but I'll give it a shot as soon as possible and let you know how it works out.

CU later,
Frederic