7210 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310 G1 server hard drive upgrade help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dana Ashrawi

ML310 G1 server hard drive upgrade help

Q1. Can the ML310 G1 accept an Ultra Wide SCSI larger than 80 GB?
Q2. Can the ML310 G1 accept IDE drive larger than 100 GB?
Q3. Can the ML310 G1 accept SATA larger than 100 GB?

Information about what has been tried with this server:

In the case of the SATA controller we tried to install, including using the diskette with the required drivers, but the server would not recognize the controller after installation of the driver.

With the IDE, we tried to install an Internal Dual Port PCI IDE Controller. Same result - would not recognize the controller.

I need help in learning how to make all of the above work for me. Want detailed step by step instruction on how to make the server recognize the SATA or IDE controller. We were trying to get the cheaper type of drive with larger capacity than the SCSI. Right now we still have two 34 GB SCSI drives and need much more capacity and would like to do it cheaply.
4 REPLIES 4
cnb
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi and Welcome!

First, you didn't specify the controller model number/name/brand you're trying to install.

Second, you didn't indicate which OS you're trying to get things installed with.

We need to know these things in order to help you ;-)

Use HP Supported Hardware and drivers.

See the Quickspecs for your answers as it depends upon the OS you're using.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11446_na/11446_na.html

Drivers and Software:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279699&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327415тМй=en&cc=us

Rgds,

Don't forget to assign points to the people who help you.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Dana Ashrawi

I have a Compaq ProLiant ML310 G1 server with two 34 GB SCSI drives, 1 GB RAM, and OS is Microsoft XP SP3, system configured for desktop. The ROM has been flashed to the latest version a year ago (2009). There does not seem to be a newer version, by the way.

The two controllers we tried to install with different drives:
eSATA PCI by Vantec - with a SATA drive
IDE controller by SIIG - numbers on the controller are S2J041500474 SC-PE4B12 - with an IDE drive

Neither were recognized. In the case of SATA it kept cycling telling me to install the controller driver - I used the CD that came with the controller and also went to the vendor site and downloaded the latest driver.

We want to install larger drives and need some help how to do this.
cnb
Honored Contributor

They probably won't work in these Servers. The Servers are designed for optimal performance with specific configurations in mind.

See the Quickspec link I sent for HP supported controllers and drives.

Rgds,
Dana Ashrawi

Thanks for the input. Just researched the drives on the quickspecs link you provided, and have found the local reseller and sent an inquiry about a price quote for drives available.