ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1747988 Members
4700 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310 G3 Embedded RAID question

amstil

ML310 G3 Embedded RAID question

I have a ML310 G3 running a single 80GB drive, no RAID. OS is already installed and has been running for some time. I want to add another 80 GB drive and enable the embedded RAID 1 in the BIOS. Is there a way I can do this and not loose my original data/OS installation? ie. just have it build a mirror from the original drive? Not clear if this can be done from the some of the embedded RAID threads that are available. If so, please advise the right steps. Thanks for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
ab_server
Frequent Advisor

Hello.

First, It's a better way if you install the OS, rather than installing the OS in 1 HD and then, create an array, because it's preferred if you install it once you've created the array (For your case, RAID 1 is a good choice).

By doing this, if your system chashes, you would not lose all of your data, instead, your info will be mirrored, so this info will be recovered. You also need to check if your RAID Controller support it.
Bob Salomon
Occasional Advisor

If you are using Windows Server (I think NT and beyond) you can create a software RAID. Though not as fast as a hardware one, it will give you a mirror without having to reformat.

Bob
ab_server
Frequent Advisor

Doing some more research about your request, I found you can be able to add another HD as long as the current disk is running on a Smart Array Controller, you can add another HD, then migrate from Raid 0 to Raid1.

In addition you need:

1- ensure you have a good backup
2- install the second disk (with = size).
3 - Open Array Config Utility, select Expand Array, select Migrate, choose Raid 1, save any changes.