cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML310 G4 SATA onBoard Raid Updgrade W2K3

Alexander Schwarz
Occasional Visitor

ML310 G4 SATA onBoard Raid Updgrade W2K3

Is there any advisory how to upgrade a running Windows Server 2003 from a Raid0 single device to a Raid1 mirror without reinstalling the OS?
If I change the Raid-level Windows needs another driver and therefor does not start anymore...
1 REPLY
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ML310 G4 SATA onBoard Raid Updgrade W2K3

Hi,

I don't know of any advisories that have information about the RAID migration. RAID migration can be done, but it's always good to have a valid data backup. Since you are very close to having to reinstall windows with RAID enabled. Its worth reading further.

Now since the server is not booting, it could be more complicated. First we'll need to see if we can go back to the previous setup (RAID 0) without affecting the Windows installation. If that's successful, read on..

Boot into windows and install the driver for the SATA RAID controller through the device manager (have disk option).

Reboot the server and get into SATA RAID configuration tool during POST. Assuming that you went back to RAID 0 in the earlier step, select the option to Create Array -> RAID 0/1.

Selecting RAID 1 should throw up a warning about data loss (again handy to have a valid backup). Press Y to continue. If all goes well, you would be asked for the source drive. Select the drive on which windows is installed, and press enter, Y if the warning comes up again. The rebuild will take some time.

Again if all goes well, after the reboot the new logical drive should be recognized & boot to Windows. New hardware wizard will now install the drivers for the RAID controller.

Let me know if it helps!