3823 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310 G4 Setup of RAID controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sarahk

ML310 G4 Setup of RAID controller

I recently bought a ML310 G4 which came with 1 x 160GB SATA drive and I purchased an additional 2 x 250GB drives.

I want to set up the 160GB as my system drive with Windows 2K3 installed, and the other 2 drives in a RAID 1 configuration for data.

I installed the OS, then enabled the controller in the BIOS, then configuring the 2 drives in a RAID 1 array. When I reboot, the server stops either with a disk not found error or just reboots when it loads the Windows 2003 splash screen.

I installed the OS using the Smartstart software so all the relevant drivers were loaded at startup. Have I missed something really simple here? Can someone point me in the right direction of what I need to do with this config?

Thanks in advance

Sarah
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

When you installed Windows, the SATA RAID was disabled. If you enable it, the disk controller will be a different one, and Windows does not have the drivers for it.
You must disable SATA RAID and add the needed drivers to the Windows installation, or enable SATA RAID from the begining, and create a RAID 0 on the 160 GB disk before installing Windows on it. You will need to provide the controller driver in a diskette in this case.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Sarah,

Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder. HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003:

Click here to go to HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=e
n&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3201178&swItem=MTX-9553913a25fe4
99aa09e22cfe2&prodNameId=3288095&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&
amp;mode=4&idx=2

Go to Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

Restart the Server go to BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

Press F8 and go to Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Regards.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

follow above steps or use nlite look for nlite in this forum

-----------
welcome back Happy Dude long time no see you
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Sarahk

Thanks vcespon and Happy Dude. I decided to reinstall the OS and using the advice from you both now have a fully working system.

Thanks Guys.

Sarah