ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753401 Members
7493 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML310 G5: Convert from Single disk to RAID W/O OS re-install.

Doug Gelling
Advisor

ML310 G5: Convert from Single disk to RAID W/O OS re-install.

Hi, I hope someone can help me.
I've followed these instructions:

3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

To try and convert my ML310 G5 from a single disk to a RAID 1 setup, however I always get a BOSD with a 7B stop code. I've downloaded the latest drives from the HP website for this unit and I'm running Windows server 2003 SP2. Re-installing the OS is not an option in this case. I really need some pointers as to where I'm going wrong.

Thank You
Doug
5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: ML310 G5: Convert from Single disk to RAID W/O OS re-install.

Doug Gelling
Advisor

James, yes I'm using that driver.

No, the MS KB article don't apply

Not sure what you mean by a USB drive, I did load the SATA RAID drivers from a USB thumb drive, would this make a difference?
I'll try putting the drivers on to the HD and then reloading and see what happens.
Doug Gelling
Advisor

I've loaded the drivers onto the primary HD. Removed the Adaptec SATA RAID device from device manager then reinstalled using files from the HD. I then rebooted the system and enabled the RAID.
I'm still getting a BSOS 7B after this.
Doug Gelling
Advisor

Ok, I've managed to resolve this. After much playing around, here is what I found to work.

Here was my setup.
I had 1 disk on to which windows 2003 was installed. I then wanted to add another disk
and setup as a RAID 1 config.
Server is a ML310 G5.

I moved the disk with the OS on it to slot 3 in the disk cabinet.
I then connect this disk to the second SATA controller. I then set this controller as the primary boot controller.
I also enabled the SATA raid controller at the same time.
Windows 2003 booted from the secondary controller and detected the new RAID controller. I then installed the drivers for this. I shutdown the server and put the disk back into slot 1, and reconnected the SATA cables into the correct slots. I rebooted the server and created a RAID 1 set. It took about 75 minutes on a 250GB disk. Once the RAID set was created the server rebooted and the proceeded to load windows with out any further problems.

Hardware RAID 1 setup without having to reload the os and apps.
Doug Gelling
Advisor

See above