ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748285 Members
4051 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310 G5 Power Problem

dyslecix

ML310 G5 Power Problem

When plugging the power cable in, approx 10 seconds later the system turns on for a few seconds than powers down.

LED 4 on the front panel is amber.

On the motherboard the stb_led is green the pwr_led is off.

The power switch is completely unresponsive.

From time to time the system fan and lights will turn on (as if plugged in for the first time) for a split second then turn off. At times it occurs 2 times in a row.

Has anyone encountered something like this or have any advice?

My only 2 suspicions thus far are power supply fault or power switch fault.
8 REPLIES 8
Miroslav Kos
Advisor

Try to plug in other power supply. Disconnect everything from the motherboard that is not necessarily for server to work. It looks to me like failed system board. Try to connect to ILO2 and take a look in IML logs. You could find solution there.
m.farrukh
Occasional Contributor

i m facing the same problem and i have replaced one power supply and Power supply Back plane.Server power on normally for few days.but again same problem and No failure indication is shown.
Stan Gobien
Occasional Advisor

HP support says this is a known issue with the front power board/cable.
William Gilroy
Occasional Visitor

The resolution is to replace the Power Button/LED cable. Have a look at the Tempurature Sensor Cable too.
hndcb
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot !  The messages here give  a great hint.

I got the same problem, waste money to buy a new power supply( $138 + shipping, still on the road ).

First I replace the temperature sensor ( it is just a general purpose transistor: 2N3904 , $1.5  from Radio Shack ), still the same.

Then I replace the power button with an old one which from an abandon pentium II machine ( more than 10 years ! ) , and it works great.  ( The cable from HP cause about $14 + shipping + time )

Just can NOT believe that it is the power button to cause the problem .

locster
Occasional Visitor

Thanks a million. I thought the server is host when it wasn't working and even tried to replace the mother board. Replacing the switch solved the problem and save my world.

myhp

Thanks. !

My ML310G5 which is running 24/7 suddenly turned unexpected off last night. Trying to power it back on showed the same behavior as described in this post. I disconnected the Power Button and problem was fixed. I cross checked 3 times and it is reproducible. So also for me this board entry safes me lot of money.

Further hint: -> The power button was not touched for at least 1 year as I'm always using ilo2 without any access to the system for maintenance.  Over all the years, I might have been using the button maybe 20 times. When the button decided to enter the "permanent pressed" state last night, he did do so on his own causing a "hard off" for about 10 VM's running on the unit.

SH852

Thanks for the post. I also use ML310 G5 for few years and it suddenly shutdown and cannot power up yesterday, we found the symptom is the similar to the post, so we replaced the power button with one from our spare PC and it works fine. I never think it is the power button problem.......