6084 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310 G5 SATA RAID1 Disk speed terrible

monkeybike
Occasional Contributor

ML310 G5 SATA RAID1 Disk speed terrible

Hi All,

Got a ML 310 G5 with two drives in. These are built in the SATA hardware raid as RAId1.

Server operates fine, until you put it under pressure, say with a file restore back from Tape (on its on Scsi connection) or when you simply try and copy a big file or mass of files accross to it.

Practically freezes up.

Its definitely server related as I can copy no problem to say a PC on the same network.

Using latest drive on SATA controller

Regards

Richy
8 REPLIES 8
Dave Wooder
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rich
Think we both posted at the same time...did you have any grief getting the mirror recognised by smartstart as i explained in my post...
I new to HP kit and thinking im doing something stupid....any help much appreciated

Dave
monkeybike
Occasional Contributor

Yes, discovered Samrt Start doesnt work with SATA Hardware arrays. Its only designed for Smart Arrays.

You have to build using windows disk, press f6 and then use the sata driver from a floppy.

Then after windows is on put smart start on and run through the automated thingy that updates all the drivers and installs the HP agents etc.

Richard
Dave Wooder
Occasional Advisor

thanks for that ill try tomorrow...
and there i was assuming smartstart supported the hardware!
will let you know if i get the speed probs you are experiencing
Dave
monkeybike
Occasional Contributor

I thought exactly the same.

HP obviously want use all to but better controllers.

Yes let me know if you get same issue. You need to load with mass copy such as with robocopy or something.

Richy
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi monkeybike

have you enabled Write cache?

procedure On POST you pres F8 to get in to Array configuration

Navigate to "Manage Arrays" and select the array you want in the "List of Arrays" Don't press "Enter" this will just show you a summary of your configuration. Instead do the following:
- Press (Ctrl + W) "Enable Write Cache" (Option)

or if you have the storage manager software installed you can enable write cache using it too

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
DaJaMAN
Occasional Contributor

Where is the storage manager software to install it? I have all these other management consoles, but nothing that recognizies the Sata Raid Controller.
monkeybike
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Not at the site where server is so cant check write cache, checked in management software for the controller and there isn't any options in there for write cache. Apparently you dont get those options in the SATA software, only on smart arrays.

i do seem to think when I built array, write cache being on as default. But cant confirm 100%

In answer to the question where do you get the SATA management software for Windows, its on the HP website in the support and drivers section for ML 310 G5. It doesnt get installed with SmartStart after you built windows.

Regards

Richard
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor