1748195 Members
3339 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML310 G5

Mark Fator
Advisor

ML310 G5

Got a ML310 G5 three weeks ago. Had Server 2000 up and running when Microsoft did an update last week that killed the Broadcom NetXtrem compatibility hence a server with no nic. Spent 50 hours between HP and Broadcom with no luck. Upgraded to Server 2008 and close to the same thing but this time is hangs at 75% in regular install and in safe mode it hangs at crcdisk.sys. Now I have three instances on Server 2008 showing up, none of which work. The SmartStart disk is useless as there is no way to load the SATA driver first so. I can navigate to the HP Managment disk but can to start the autorun from the command line. This is the worst install I can remember.
Any ideas as I have run out of vision, other then sending it back as defective.
18 REPLIES 18
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML310 G5

Lol :( That's awful.

Did you try disabling the raid function in bios so that you can install the windows without raid? You can enable the raid after that if you use only one HDD for the installation.

you have to download the driver and install it manually (eventhough the system will say that no such device exists), then enable the raid in bios and configure raid 1 for example.

Please note, that this is just an idea inspirated from the workaround about the non-floppy installation of win 2k3 without floppy.

Kind regards,
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

hi,

check attached file
Mark Fator
Advisor

The Nliteos does not appear to support the 2008 install as there is not i386 or adm64 install instruction on the install disk for nliteos to read.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

what about this?

Hi All,

Did you know that we can migrate from Jbod to Raid 0/1 on Embedded SATA RAID Controllers.

What does that mean:

1. Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.
3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.
4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.
6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".
7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

By following the above steps we will not require USB Floppy or Slipstream CD.

The Above procedure could be performed on all Server where customer need to install os on Embedded SATA RAID Controller.
Mark Fator
Advisor

Just tried the single disk load and the install still locks up at about 75%.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Heyy Mark,
Could you provide us with the detailed server configuration. Also which SmartStart CD have you tried ? The BIOS Revision... etc.

Regards.
Mark Fator
Advisor

Just got off the phone and HP is telling me they do not support 2008. Not isn't that a crock, I just want to go climb under a rock! They are saying contact Microsoft and see it they will exchange Server 2008 for Server 2003. has anyone got a ML310 G5 running Server 2008?
Mark Fator
Advisor

Its a ML310 G5
2.66 Ghz
2 gigs ram
bios W05 (12-6-07)
HP SmartStart Version 7.91 bootable CD (There are no useful options that I can see)
HP Managment Version 7.90 (non bootable and when I did get to navigate to the cd the autorun file could not start the install.
This last round I dropped the raid configuration to a single disk install, no luck.

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/microsoft/OS/Windowslonghorn_overview.html
"Announcing HP server support for Windows Server 2008"

Also in the same page, find the link for SmartStart 8.0 for x86 & x64;
Try them; let us know how it goes.

Regards.