1752758 Members
5189 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML310 and Red Hat 9/Fedora Core ?

Pete_51
Advisor

ML310 and Red Hat 9/Fedora Core ?

We are about to buy a 2nd hand (ex demo) ML310 p2.8ghz - the application we want to run on this server requires Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core - i dont see any official support info or RH9 an ML310 on the HP site - can anyone tell me from experience if RH9 will install fairly easily using Smart Start on one o these servers? Are there any known hardware/driver limitations with RH9?

Kind regards and thanks in advance
Pete
5 REPLIES 5
Pete_51
Advisor

Re: ML310 and Red Hat 9/Fedora Core ?

Sorry, i should have added, if ML310 support is not going to happen, we could, possibly go for an ML370 our vendor has available, ML 2 x p800 - would this machine be more RH9 friendly?

Note we have no need for anything special to run, its simply a mail filter/mail gateway, no snmp or anything that i see others hvaing problems with on these machines with this OS in this forum.
Pete_51
Advisor

So does anyone know if this is likely, or possible? To install RH9 on an ML310 SCSI?
Victor Pendlebury
Valued Contributor

Hi Pete

RH9 is not supported on any Proliant : please refer to the HP Supported OS Matrix
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hpLinuxcert.html

But I know by experience that there is a bug in the RH9 Kernel - sounds to be an issue with the IDE driver : this causes the CDROM not to be recognized.

There is a workaround.

The fix is in the form of a boot floppy that is used in conjunction with the installation CD.

The readme and floppy images are available externally here:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com:21/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/linux/RedHat/bootdisk.rhl9.readme
ftp://ftp.compaq.com:21/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/linux/RedHat/bootdisk.rhl9dl.img
ftp://ftp.compaq.com:21/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/linux/RedHat/bootdisk.rhl9us.img

An updated boot floppy has been created and can be downloaded from: ftp.compaq.com
The floppy is created by using either dd or rawrite.

dd can be used as follows:

dd if=bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

rawrite can be used as follows:

rawrite
Specify the name of the image file when prompted
Specify the "A:" drive when prompted for destination drive.

Once you have created the updated boot floppy, boot the above mentioned ProLiant server on the floppy. You may insert the CD-ROM at any time after the server begins booting on the updated floppy. If prompted, select "install from CD-ROM" and insert the Red Hat Linux 9 Professional CD when prompted.

Installation should continue as normal.

Note: There are two versions of this updated boot disk.

* bootdisk.rhl9us.img is only for retail boxed Red Hat Linux 9 purchased in the US where the md5sum for CD #1 is: "cd8872f2e2e3a42f548ed1bf947709f0".

* bootdisk.rhl9dl.img is for the supported/retail boxed Red Hat Linux 9 purchased outside the US where the md5sum for CD #1 is: "50f414a2135d093a02704b4b513f92ba" or the unsupported version downloaded from sites such as linuxiso.org where the md5sum for CD #1 is: "400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad".

The md5sum of the updated floppies are as follows:

c2d235cf7c05030e8ae7d849421d4f01 bootdisk.rhl9dl.img
51fd0ef3d8d6c654d17b61e6f7b12fa4 bootdisk.rhl9us.img

Hope this will help

Regards

Victor
Pete_51
Advisor

Mate, thanks so much for all that, that is some very usefull info.

Thanks for taking the time.

If i may trouble you to ask further question.

I ask about RH9/Fedora installation on this machine as i havent bought it yet, when i buy it need to know i can install RH9 or Fedora.

We use the Downloaded from Red Hat Iso, we dont have a boxed version. But if i check the checksums tomorrow and they differe i will buy the correct version.

Since we are not using raid or anything, just SCSI, do i need any of the drivers or software from the compaq site? Just instal RH9, do the updates and thats it?

Thanks so much.
Pete_51
Advisor

Also if i were to use the supported RHEL, could i use WS version, or would i be oblidged to use the RHEL ES etc that costs a LOT of money ?