New Discussion юеВ

ML310; how big can a disk be?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Torstein Aanvik
Occasional Advisor

ML310; how big can a disk be?

Hi!

We've just bought a brand new ML310 that has a 36GB SCSI disk mounted originally. In addition, for backup purposes, I've added a 200GB Western Digital IDE disk. However, W2K Server doesn't recognize this disk as being any larger than 128GB. My question is; does the ML310 support disks larger than 128GB? If so, do I need to flash the BIOS on our server?

Sincerely
Torstein Aanvik
Every time someone invents a fool-proof system, God invents a bigger fool...
3 REPLIES 3
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML310; how big can a disk be?

Hello Torstein;

It all depends on which model of ML310 you have. You can email me the serial number at janine.bertolo@hp.com for confirmation if you like.

Basically, the scsi model of the server (which is what you probably have) has an embedded IDE controller that supports the cd-rom drive only.

You may be able to get an IDE hard drive to detect on it, but because the controller is not designed to accommodate the newer, larger drives it will not work properly.

Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

Torstein: only Win2k SP3 supports 48-bit Logical Block Addressing, needed to get past the 137GB/128GB (depending on your definition of GB) limit. You also need to make sure your BIOS supports this.
This is covered in Technet article Q305098 at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305098
Torstein Aanvik
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replies people! Glenn: SP3 is installed, so I guess it's not a software problem. Janine has provided me with the info I needed, and it seems the embedded controller doesn't support harddisks.

Thanks for all help!

Sincerely
Torstein Aanvik
Every time someone invents a fool-proof system, God invents a bigger fool...