1753665 Members
5627 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310: how to use onboard AHCI?

NilsE
Occasional Advisor

ML310: how to use onboard AHCI?

Is there an AHCI option for onboard SATA somewhere in the RBSU?

Does Windows Server 2008 x64 automatically load an AHCI driver for the ICH9R, or will I need to specify one?
13 REPLIES 13
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Nilse

ML310 generation 5?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
NilsE
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, yes. ML310 G5.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

go to RBSU -> Advance options -> enable RAID if it is not enabled and use this driver to when W2008 x64 shows the screen to load the driver using an USB key

by the way when you enable RAID you will have an option F8 to configure your Embedded SATA Controller (during POST) create your RAID and ready to go

driver for W2008x64
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-4810d57f44f74d8cbe18413697&mode=3

manual to configure SATA RAID
www.jraf.ru/books/embedded_sata_raid_manual.pdf

regards
NilsE
Occasional Advisor

I've enabled "RAID" as you suggested, and I think it's now treating that disk as a single-disk JBOD. (I didn't add the disk to an array.)

I'm installing Windows Server 2008 x64 now, but the installer doesn't see the disk. The driver you linked to appeared to be for onboard Adaptec RAID, but I think this onboard RAID would be handled by the Intel ICH9R. The RAID driver from Intel (iaStor) is recognized, but it doesn't make the drive show up. The AHCI driver from Intel (iaAHCI) is not recognized as compatible.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

other idea...

I did this few days ago like I told you

Enable RAID
Configured a RAID 1 during POST pressing F8
I used driver above and I installed W2008 x64 with no issue on course with the Embedded controller

did you configured a RAID during POST? pressing F8?

regards
NilsE
Occasional Advisor

Interesting. I went ahead and installed the OS on another drive, then booted into the OS. In the device manager, the Intel ICH9R SATA RAID controller (I forgot the exact name) was loaded, but "could not start". When I deleted the device and redetected, it was replaced with "Adaptec Processor Device (Pseudo)" and "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID" with no reported problems.

However, the ATA controller and connected drive still don't show up.

Are you recommending that I create a RAID 1 with a single drive? Is that possible? (I only want AHCI, not RAID.)
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

RAID 1 with 1 HDD - No not possible.

when you say AHCI you mean you did not enable RAID in POST?

regards
NilsE
Occasional Advisor

No, I did not enable an array, but yes, I did enable RAID capability. So right now, the disks are detected as JBOD disks.

I DON'T want a RAID array, I ONLY want AHCI capability.

With the cp008698 loaded it's actually kind of a step backwards: when I hot plug a second drive, all drives connected to the controller disappear! At least when I had RAID disabled, I could manually scan for hardware changes and detect the second drive. :-)

I emailed an HP tech who suggested cp008695 (appears to be an older version of cp008698) and cp009033 (which appears to be for completely unrelated HP Smart Array products). Neither helped.

Again: I am installing Windows Server 2008 x64 with a hard drive connected to the embedded HBA. If onboard RAID is disabled in the BIOS, I can see the drive, but AHCI functions are not available. If onboard RAID is enabled in the BIOS, then I cannot see the drive during Windows installation. I have tried loading the latest HP embedded RAID drivers and the latest Intel Matrix Storage drivers during Windows installation, but neither makes the drive visible.

By the way, you said that you had done this successfully, but you mention pressing F6 to load these drivers. I think F6 is only used on Windows Server 2003 and earlier. Server 2008 has a GUI for loading additional storage drivers. Are you sure you loaded Server 2008?

Thanks for your help. I'm still working on it.
NilsE
Occasional Advisor

(I'm sorry, you were talking about F8 in RBSU, not F6 during Windows installation. Disregard that comment. :-p)