ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751790 Members
4789 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML310 with ATA RAID controller supporting 320 GB disk...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Bender
Advisor

ML310 with ATA RAID controller supporting 320 GB disk...

Howdy, y'all; I'm trying to install a new 320 GB disk in an ML310 with the ATA RAID controller in replacement of 2 80 GB RAID 1 disks.

I don't care about RAID configuration as this server will be for a small Web application. However, after using Windows SBS 2003 SP2 ASR to restore the system with the new disk installed, the ATA RAID controller only recognizes 137 GB of the new disk. Is this the 48-bit LBA problem? I can't find any docs in the Compaq knowledge base that address this issue.

The ML310 QuickSpecs doc says that the ATA version of the ML310 can be configured with 4 80-GB disks, but I assume that this spec refers to a configuration originally sold by Compaq.

TIA for your thoughts.

APJ
San Jose, CA.
5 REPLIES 5
TY 007
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML310 with ATA RAID controller supporting 320 GB disk...

Hi Andy,

HP ProLiant ML310 - Standard Features - Storage:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11446_div/11446_div.html#Storage
NOTE: The ProLiant ML310 supports a maximum of 130 GB capacity per ATA drive. When 160-GB ATA hard drives (PN 366486-B21) are connected to the internal ATA RAID controller, the ProLiant ML310 recognizes a capacity of 130-GB.

Thanks
Andy Bender
Advisor

OK; thanks for your note, Ty. I appreciate the link to the specs that I missed somehow.

Sincerely,

APJ
San Jose, CA.
TY 007
Honored Contributor

Frederic Hoornaert
Occasional Advisor

HI,

I've just bought one of these system (ML310) and added an Adaptec PCI 4-port SATA raid controller.
The OS is installed on a 40 GB IDE HD connected to the internal ATA raid controller.
When I configure the RAID Array on my new SATA RAID controller (3x500Gb) the system always tries to boot from the SATA RAID controlled instead of the internal ATA RAID Controller.
My settings in the BIOS are correct :
first try to boot from the internal controller
then try to boot from the SATA controller.
Howevern my settings seem to be ignored.
i have version D12 of the BIOS installed.
Is there a workaround or a patch for this problem ?

Kind regards,
Frederic Hoornaert
Andy Bender
Advisor

Sorry, Frederic; don't have an answer for you without more research.

I downloaded and read the Adaptec Storage Manager user manual, but only saw information about the bootable CD feature.

Another thought: Is there a jumper or switch on the Adaptec card that might establish it as a bus-mastering interface? I know that some Adaptec SCSI boards have bus-mastering BIOS logic installed because the motherboard BIOS only recognizes the IDE interface when searching for bootable storage.

Best regards.

APJ
San Jose, CA.