1748171 Members
4192 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML310

Mike_393
Occasional Advisor

ML310

I recently posted here and asked about running windows 2000 Pro on a ML310. I was told that I could. I have a new ML310 ATA model. I also have 2 scsi drives for this ML310 with a wide ultra 3 scsi adapter. I can't get an OS on this thing. If I leave out the Scsi adapter and scsi drives it doesn't see the ATA drive. If I add the scsi card and drives it doesn't get the drivers and hans when windows 2000 says it is starting. I would like a system with the OS running on the SCSI drive (faster) and have ATA drive for data storage. CAn anybody tell me how to get this setup? Smart start cd's do not work with Win 2000 pro apparently.

Please help!

Mike
14 REPLIES 14
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

what dos it say??

I would still use the smart start cd and configure the hardware..

Mike_393
Occasional Advisor

Eric,

Thanks for replying. The smart start cd only allows for Server software installation. I checked win 2000 server and provided the win 2000 pro cd and it failed with an incorrect OS message. Any ideas?

Mike
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Smart Start is designed to work with server operating systems, not desktop OS's.

OK, the ATA model should have the option for configuring and IDE array. Has this been done? This may explain the reason the drive isn't seen. Also which driver is being specified during the Win 2000 Pro install? The ATA array controller will typically require this. Which scsi adapter do you have installed? Are you also specifying this driver during the install of the OS.

Windows 2000 Pro will install, but it's not going to be supported by HP support. It should use the same drivers as W2K server.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mike_393
Occasional Advisor

Correct, the Smart Start doesn't work with desktop OS's. I tried as a last resort.

I have gone through and Initiated the ATA drive but when trying to install win 2000 it does not see the drive, and gives me no options for selecting or creating partitions.

I have tried setting up both drivers. I get a txtsetup.oem file missing error. I am trying to setup these drivers by going F6 during windows install.

The scsi card is 64-bit/66 Mhz single channel wide ultra3.

I know Compaq doesn't support win 2000 pro on a server but this will be my workstation and I don't really want server software. I currently have 2000 pro lisenced and don't want to purchase another server license.

Thanks for you reply

Mike
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I understand. You are specifying the scsi driver and it's giving you an error? The same for the ide driver? During the install of Win 2000 Pro, I would recommend specifying the scsi adapter driver using F6 (you can also specify the ide driver here too, but it's not necessary during the install of the OS). For the scsi adapter I would recommend using:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16724.html

For the ATA array I would use:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16678.html

Before you boot off the Pro CD you should already have changed the controller order to boot off the 64 Bit, 66 Mhz adapter.
Mike_393
Occasional Advisor

I don't understand either. I have been trying the driver for the scsi card you suggested but it doesn't find the "txtsetup.oem" file. So it doesn't load the drivers. I don't know how else to load them.

I have already changed the controller order.

Mike
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Did you try to let Win2000 detect the scsi adapter and supply it's own driver?
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Hi mike.
Although not support (Pro) to resolve the txtsetup.oem problem for this scsi card, you could look for this file under the cpq32fs2 (the driver) folder in one of your smart start cd and copy this txtsetup.oem to your diskette driver and then installation should pick up the mass storage driver (F6 option). You will have to see if all works fine after that OS setup, might have some issues then with pro. Hope this will help.
claude
Mike_393
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Claude that worked. Now my next problem... I have two SCSI drives and would like them mirrored but haven't been able to run array configuration. I now have win 2000 pro installed on one drive where is the array configuration utility and can I mirror a drive already in use?

Thanks
Mike