ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753766 Members
5491 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

ML310e gen8 v2 with SLES 11 sp3 slow login and responsiveness.

pboehlke
Occasional Collector

ML310e gen8 v2 with SLES 11 sp3 slow login and responsiveness.

I am having an issue with a new install of SLES 11 sp3 with Novell OES 11 sp2 on a ML310e gen8 v2 server.  I got the OS installed using the b120 raid controller driver and it works great as a file server.  The problem I am having is that it is when you boot it up it takes quite a while for the login screen to come up, once it does and you enter your credentials it takes a while to get to the desktop.  When you try and launch any program it take 2-15 minutes for the program to launch.  I tried starting Firefox and it took almost 5 minutes.  

I am also noticing slowness when I try to login via SSH.  The login via SSH comes up right away but once you enter your password it takes a few minutes sometimes to get to the bash prompt.  

The weird thing is I have files hosted on it and when I connect via Novell and move or edit one of them it is fine, it reacts speed wise how I would expect.

I have checked my DNS settings and those appear to be correct.  I also changed the BIOS settings to Max performance.  What else could cause this latency?  

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ML310e gen8 v2 with SLES 11 sp3 slow login and responsiveness.

Are you using NIS?  I've had that slow things down when pointed to a non-existent NIS server.

pboehlke
Occasional Collector

Re: ML310e gen8 v2 with SLES 11 sp3 slow login and responsiveness.

Thank you! Your post jogged my memory that I had encountered a LUM error when I was setting up the server.  I went back and reran that and fixed the error as part of the OES setup and now the server is working great.

Thanks again.