ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753826 Members
8803 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML310e gen8 v2 with SLES 11 sp3 slow login and responsiveness.

pboehlke
Occasional Collector

ML310e gen8 v2 with SLES 11 sp3 slow login and responsiveness.

I am having an issue with a new install of SLES 11 sp3 with Novell OES 11 sp2 on a ML310e gen8 v2 server.  I got the OS installed using the b120 raid controller driver and it works great as a file server.  The problem I am having is that it is when you boot it up it takes quite a while for the login screen to come up, once it does and you enter your credentials it takes a while to get to the desktop.  When you try and launch any program it take 2-15 minutes for the program to launch.  I tried starting Firefox and it took almost 5 minutes.  

I am also noticing slowness when I try to login via SSH.  The login via SSH comes up right away but once you enter your password it takes a few minutes sometimes to get to the bash prompt.  

The weird thing is I have files hosted on it and when I connect via Novell and move or edit one of them it is fine, it reacts speed wise how I would expect.

I have checked my DNS settings and those appear to be correct.  I also changed the BIOS settings to Max performance.  What else could cause this latency?  

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Are you using NIS?  I've had that slow things down when pointed to a non-existent NIS server.

pboehlke
Occasional Collector

Thank you! Your post jogged my memory that I had encountered a LUM error when I was setting up the server.  I went back and reran that and fixed the error as part of the OES setup and now the server is working great.

Thanks again.