ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751940 Members
4876 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML330 Adding 2nd Processor and PWM Fan

xxcfdrr

ML330 Adding 2nd Processor and PWM Fan

Hello. I am adding a matching Xeon processor and cpu fan to my ML330. I realize the motherboard connection on the ML330 is a 4-pin plug, for a PWM cpu fan. I have already purchased an aftermarket PWM fan and heat sink that fits, but the plug is keyed slightly different, it has one extra tang on it. It will physically plug in with some effort but I wanted to make sure this fan would work without frying the motherboard. I haven't powered it up like this yet.

I found the pin out for the fan connector but where can I find the pin out for the 4-pin motherboard fan connection for the ML330? I'd like to know which which pins on the ML330 are 12v, ground, tach and PWM.

Here is the fan being used:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_37&products_id=3974

Better yet, has anyone done this before?

Thank you for any info.
12 REPLIES 12
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I don't see reason why it can't be done

... personally I'm not familiar to MLL330 G3 pin allocation, however what you can do:

pull one wire at time from working one and check how it does change speed and functionality, do not rely on coloring, you can damage chipset, I hope your server is out of warranty at this time?, if not you might consider to purchase new heatsink and fan assembly, you can find sometimes around $40 or from parts surfer $78

other way test for -+ power negative with digital volt tester, basic knowledge will be enough

third party fan might have green white black or red black white, some of them designed for dual speed some of them use sense cable, be careful to not damage sys board as it might affect primary fan too, third party fan with slow speed rotation might affect chipset and it could translate it as error and hundreds of log in IML or event viewer
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

I think there is no way to make a mistake.
I don't know the pin-out of ml330 for cpu fan, but if is a 4 pis, there is only one way to fit the 3 pins connector...

I've assembled a few thousand of systems and over all mother board there is only one way to fit the 3 pins connector in a four...

bye.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
xxcfdrr

Thanks for the responses. I have attached a picture to clear up some of the confusion this question has posed. I need the pin out of the ML330 cpu fan header in order to connect generic 4-pin PWM fan. I am afraid since ML330 motherboard isn't keyed like the rest of the computers on the planet, the pins may be switched around from the industry standard. Does any have schematics to this motherboard or any Compaq/HP motherboard with a 4-pin PWM cpu fan header? Please see the attached picture.

Thank you.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

tomorrow morning I'll be in office.
I'll give you an answer.

right now it's 21:30 ...

good night.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

for fan connector you should have

Ground
+ 12 V
Faults

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

correction

4 pins

Ground
+ 12 V
Installed ├в loop back from ground verifies if fan is installed.
Faults ├в collect all fan failures and report to Software

First three would be hardware level; along loop back can be detected trough software too

I hope TJK can confirm exact pin allocation, as I can't find it
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Hi, (good morning)

yes Oleg; you are right.
I confirm.
Also, taking a look at your photo (xxcdfdrr) it seems there is only one way to insert the connector.
like aver all MB I've seen in my life.
in addition: making a mistake in connecting a fan, no possibilities of frying the MB.
the fan is a passive component.
only a few things may happens.
one of this is what, correctly says Oleg: hundreds of errors...
another, may rotate in revers mode.
be patient... you can try all the combinations of four pins: only 4!=24.
ok, I'm kidding.
I think nothing may happen.
connect you fan!
Bye.
Good Morning again.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
xxcfdrr

Anyone have the actual pin out for the ML330 cpu fan header? A schematic of the motherboard would contain that. Anyone? Thank you ,
xxcfdrr

I still need the schematic or pin out of the CPU fan header on the ML330 motherboard. Thank you,