Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML330 G3 Failing drive replacement problems

Highlighted
Mark Tordoff
Occasional Contributor

ML330 G3 Failing drive replacement problems

Hi all,

I am supporting an ML330 G3, which is claiming 'Predictive Failure' on one of its 3 72GB Drives (using SMH).
All 3 drives are Fujitsu 10K SCSI's.
Don't ask me why its been built with Fujitsu's - wasn't my doing. I would guess it was a cost thing...

Anyway, the problem is (I think) H/D make irrelevant!
OK, the new drive is a slightly different model number to the other 3 (one of which I'm replacing). I admit, it took me a while, but a BIOS upgrade resolved the problem of the BIOS not seeing the drive.
However, this has highlghted a new problem...
Something (this is the bit I don't fully understand about) is trying to make the server boot from the 'new' drive.

So, my question is... where does the boot order come from that says which drive is to be booted from?
The physical disk (that I'm trying to replace) doesn't contain NTLDR, Boot.ini or any other OS boot files - it does contain 2 software installation folders, a Pagefile and an Outlook PST file.
I know there has to be an 'active' drive - but can this surely be an active drive if it doesn't contain Boot.INI?
Its Windows name by the way is E:
C: (Boot and System partition - as far as I know!) is a seperate disk that is mirrored.

Is the selected boot drive chosen by the SCSI ID? (I didn't think so).
Is it related to the position that it holds along the SCSI cable - this is the first drive connected from the SCSI Card (Again, I didn't think so).
Is it a setting within the SCSI Card BIOS? Again I didn't think so (because I didn't think the config options in the BIOS/RBSU are specific enough to allow the choice of an individual drive) - but it must be something!?!?
By the way, the 3 drives are Dynamic.

The controller is listed as (according to SMH) a: Compaq Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter.
and in Windows Device Manager as:
HP 64-bit/66Mhz Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter

Any help here greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Mark