1752742 Members
5429 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ML330 G3 SCSI - SATA Harddisk

Lei Nelissen

ML330 G3 SCSI - SATA Harddisk

Hello,

I recently got a ML330 G3 that was replaced by a newer one. Because this one wasn't needed, I could have it for free. I've recently installed Ubuntu Linux on it, with the means of using it as media/storage server. Ubuntu Linux was installed with software raid 1 on some 36 GB compaq SCSI harddisks. Because 36 GB is not really much if you want to use it as storage server, I decided I would like to place some SATA harddisks in it. Now, I've read some manuals, but I can't seem to figure out if it's possible to put two 640 GB SATA WD I picked in software raid 1 in my server next to my SCSI drives. Could anyone tell me if it's possible, because I'm not really sure...

Thanks a lot in advance,
Lei
1 REPLY 1
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML330 G3 SCSI - SATA Harddisk

The ML330 G3 does not have SATA interfaces so you can not connect your disks as is. The only options from HP are U320 SCSI or ATA100.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11614_na/11614_na.html

The server has 64bit/33MHz PCI slots so you need to find a SATA controller to work with the PCI slots and have drivers for Linux. Nothing from HP whatever you do you have to find it in the open market.