1748276 Members
4131 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML330 G3 and Sata Card

KevinOregon
Occasional Contributor

ML330 G3 and Sata Card

I have a Proliant ML330 G3, Microsoft SBS, two 40G scsi drives working off card. I am attempting to install an Adaptec 2420AS SATA controller into an available PCI slot but whenever I do this the machine powers on with the fans going at full speed and nothing else, no post, no boot, not even any video, the monitor green light flashes.
Any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: ML330 G3 and Sata Card

Hello Kevin,

I dont think this server will support a SATA card.

It only supports Smart Array controllers for SCSI drives & U320 Adapters;

Regards,
James.
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

That's right.

But you could try installing the card on the other free slots, it could help.
e4services
Honored Contributor

you should not have trouble install an additional card as a controller into the machine as long as it is compatitble with the slot/bus etc. Check both manuals for the card and server to see the PCI acceptability and interrupts and whcih slots on the ML are compatible or best for such a device
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

the ML330 G3 is said to have "4 x 64-bit/33 MHz PCI 3.3V". Most PCI based products use the +5V power rail as their primary source of power. These same products might be designated as "+5V-only" or "5V/3.3V" or "Universal," depending on their PCI logic level compatibilities.

THe Adaptec 2420SA (2420AS) states "PCI-X 64-bit/133 MHz host interface (3.3v only)" and this could be the problem, that the adapter requires PCI-X 133MHz to work.
Hot Swap Hard Drives