1748040 Members
5016 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML330 G3 firmware

Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

ML330 G3 firmware

Is there a way to get hold of a newer (e.g. beta) firmware for the ML330G3 than the one available on the HP web site? Reason is that we have a single CPU ML330 sitting here as well as a Xeon CPU which would fit, but the ML330 does not like it, probably due to the CPU stepping (the machine complains about an "unknown CPU" and refuses to boot anything else than a Rompaq disk). The rompaq available from HP is quite old (July).
5 REPLIES 5
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Jens, I see one dated August:

Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for ProLiant ML330 G3 (D15) Servers
version 4.03 D15-07/26/2003 (15 Aug 03)

see at..http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18820.html

Suspect this may be a problem whatever Rompaq you try if the CPUs are not identical in every way: ordering one from HP usually works!

Regards

Eric
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

Eric,

that's the one I meant with "July" (see the version number '4.03 D15-07/26/2003'). It apparently is too old for the CPU I want to use, since that one has a production date of mid November.

Yes, I am aware that a CPU bought from HP probably will work, since those most likely are a bit older - but I already have this CPU lying around unused, and it would have been nice to just plug it into the server and go. Oh well, looks like I just have to wait for HP to officially update the files.
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately there should be no way to find a newer firmware then the one on HP's website for HP's server.ML 330G3 includes one 2.8GHz or 2.4 GHz CPU with its standard configuration.If you want to implement multi-processor,the 2nd process have to be exactly the same model with the original one(i.g. frequency,cache,value of stepping...).

P.S
The CPU for HP's server may contain some microcode to ensure that it is a real one come from and for HP although OEM.It has nothing to do with version of firmware.
Freedom is offered to man and given to him as a task.
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

Jake,

I, too, always thought that CPU stepping has to be the same when you want to use a multi-CPU setup - but we ordered one ML330G3 with two CPUs, and the steppings were not the same (and it worked without a hitch), so I guess that the machine defaults to the level of the older CPU.

As for the "branded" CPUs - it might be possible, but I think it is highly unlikely. I just cannot see Intel building "HP only" batches of CPUs, the processor market is too fast and price sensitive for HP to order custom made processors. Especially since the error message was not "your CPU is not made by HP", but instead "get a firmware update".

I guess the only thing we can do is to wait until HP themselves use October/November Intel Xeons in their servers, then they *have* to prepare a new firmware with the CPU info in it.
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jens,

you are so professional!
Hope you can get what you want ASAP:)

Jake
Freedom is offered to man and given to him as a task.