108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML330 G3 un-predictable rebooting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chance_3
Occasional Advisor

ML330 G3 un-predictable rebooting

My Ml300 G3 server will do a random reboot. This occurs anywhere from two to seven days. Time of day also varies but mostly in the early morning 3:00 to 7:00 am.

This seams to be a controlled shutdown and reboot. The Bios is setup to do this when the server becomes non-responsive. There no Events in the Event logs that give any indication of what is causing this to occur.

Some Info: OS Windows 2000 server with all the service packs and MS updates.
This is a data server only. 1000 meg of ram
Raid 0 for two 80gig HDs
Raid 0 for two 300 gig HDs There are two Raids setup. The server boots from the first Raid controller.
Software: Timberline Accounting, SQL 200, WorkgroupShare, Create a Check, Nero and Yosemite Ver 8 Backup.

The problem begain in March 07 after I did MS Updates. A person on a form I belong to told me to uninstall Tight VNC as it was found to cause this kind of problem with one of MS security update. The on that deals with SNMP help files. This worked and everything was OK until I did another MS update.

What bugs me is there is nothing in the Event Logs other then what I would get if I did a normal reboot. The only Event Entry that has anything to do with this is тАЬShutdown was un-inspectedтАЭ.

HP has a Support Communication Doc c00879454 that covers CSB-6 Raid Controller Driver about read and whites to drive beyond 120GB and a Bios update but I do not get any Error codes 8 or 11 in the Event Logs.

Does anyone have any Ideas of what is causing this problem?

hance
15 REPLIES 15
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

do you have the latest firmware and Proliant support pack for youy server?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Chance_3
Occasional Advisor

No. The above mentioned Support Doc does states to upgrade the ROM and the Riad drivers. If I do this will it cause the Raid setup to brake?

Chance
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

no at all

you can update firmware and PSP wihout affecting the system.

dont worry

regards
Chance_3
Occasional Advisor

Should I try this first?

Chance
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes try updating those and also try disable ASR on BIOS, because your telling us that the server just reboots, no errors, disabling the ASR on BIOS will generate a Blue screen that can indicate an error on the system

regards
Chance_3
Occasional Advisor

By disabling ASR won't that cause corrupted files?

Chance
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

no at all

ASR is Automatic System Restart which can help you geeting any info why the server is rebooting

regards
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Since you mentioned a SPECIFIC time when this would happen, Is there any particular application that kicks in during this time zone ?

For example, the Backup application ? which in case will have additional hardware resources to be used with the server ?

Regards,
James.
Chance_3
Occasional Advisor

No! Backups are completted by 1:00 am. No other software updates are done.

Chance