ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752795 Members
5985 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML330 G3 won't POST

Burls

ML330 G3 won't POST

I have a ML330 G3 that was running fine until a day ago when it was rebooted for an update. Now, when I power it up all I get is a blank screen. The board has no amber LED's on and all of the fans and HDD's power up ok. I reseated everything swapped memory and CPU's and tried reinstalling each componet one at a time, and still nothing. Do I have a bad Board, or could the PSU be shot?
8 REPLIES 8
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

If something is faulty, it is deffinetely the systemboard.

Check page 62 here
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=316573&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc01129756%2Fc01129756.pdf

Try with the pin number 6 of the system maintenance switch - it clears the nvram.

If this doesn't help, check if u still have warranty and aks hp for board replacement.

Regards,
Burls

Thanks, when you move the jumper to clear the NVRAM how long are you supposed to keep it on to clear the settings?
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

You only need to move it to the other position and then to start the server. If it works (I hope for that!) then you can shutdown the server and bring it to the previous position. Otherwise you will get the message "switched to backup rom" or something like that everytime you start the server.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

procedure

1. Power down the server.
2. Remove the server cover.
3. Remove power cable
4. Locate the System Maintenance Switch, position 6, and move the switch to the "On=Clear NVRAM" position.
5. Power the server back on for 1 minute.
6. Power-cycle the server off.
7. Move the System Maintenance Switch back to the "Off" position.
8. Replace the server cover and power on the system.

-----------
have tried ping the server?

- if you another Power supply that you can test would be great.

- also remove memory modules at all and check if you get any beep.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Have come across such issues before and more often it is the systemboard failure.

However if poosible you could also try a known PSU.(As advised by Karlo)

Regards
Burls

Thanks for the responses. I took the board out of the case and hooked it back up to the PSU and worked fine. As soon as I re-install it, same problem. Something must be shorting it out on the standoffs. Anybody run into this situation before?
Michael T. Butler

I've run into this exact problem on several of my servers. Some combination of powercycling and reseating the RAM modules solved it for me. Sometimes just unplugging it and turning it back on fixes it. Very strange.
Burls

Ok, it has the same problem again. I think its the motherboard, but what is strange is if you pull the RAM you get the board to beep, so maybe the mobo isn't the issue. I don't have another PSU to try and I'd hate to replace the mobo only to find out it was the PSU. I guess its a 50/50 chance..