1748059 Members
4913 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML330 G6 Hard Drives

TurskRO
Occasional Advisor

ML330 G6 Hard Drives

I have a ML330 G6 server that I want to put some more storage in. It has the 4 port LFF drive bay. Right now it has two 250Gb hot swap SATA drives in it. I want to put 1Tb hot swap SAS drives in the other two bays.

It does have the P410i RAID card in it. Can I mix SATA and SAS drives in the same server? I was under the impression that you didn't want to do that, but I'm not sure where I heard/read that.

The serial number for the server is xxxxxxxxxx

I don't understand why you can't go to HPs web site and key your serial number and get all the "options" available for your server.

So my questions are... what part numbers do I need for either a 1tb hot swap LFF SAS drive or a 1tb hot swap LFF SATA drive that will fit my server?

P.S. For your security, I have removed the serial number from your post above - that's information you probably don't want to make publicly available. - HP Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

You can Mix-and-match SAS and SATA hard drives on the same controller. However, create two different groups (Sata and SAS) out of these hard drives.

As per server quickspecs:

507614-B21  (HP 1TB 6G SAS 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) Dual Port Midline 1yr Warranty Hard Drive)

454146-B21  (HP 1TB 3G SATA 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) Midline 1yr Warranty Hard Drive)

Please refer to Server quickspecs for more information on supported SAS/SATA Hard Drives and their Part Numbers :

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13361_div/13361_div.html

If you have hotplug drive cage then it will support both the drives (SATA/SAS).

Hope this helps,

How to say thanks.. Click on STAR Kudos.

cheers!

Ali

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

The HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller in the server supports both SATA and SAS drives as pointed out above by Ali.

As noted by Ali, two separate arrays may be created grouping SATA drives separately and SAS drives separately and create logical drives separately from the two arrays. Mixing SATA and SAS drives in a single array or logical drive is not possible.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

TurskRO
Occasional Advisor

Question for all. I have ordered the 507614-B21 1Tb drives but got 508010-001 2Tb drives instead. The drives I got are not listed on the quickspecs for the server. The 507616-B21 2Tb drive is listed instead.

Does anyone know the difference in these drives? Will the 508101-001 work in this server?

I need to know if these drives will fit in this server before I contact the seller.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

The

The HP ProLiant ML330 G6 server ships with HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID controller as this integrated in the system board.

507616-B21, is a 2TB hot-plug SAS (6Gbp/s) hard disk drive - 7,200 RPM, 3.5-inch large form factor (LFF), whose spare part number is 508010-001, is not supported by HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID controller embedded in the server, but supported by the following controllers:

HP Smart Array P212/Zero Memory Controller

HP Smart Array P212/ 256 MB Controller

HP Smart Array P410/256 MB Controller

HP Smart Array P410/512 MB BBWC Controller

HP Smart Array P410/512 MB FBWC Controller

HP Smart Array P410/1G FBWC Controller

HP Smart Array P411/256 MB Controller

HP Smart Array P411/512 MB BBWC Controller

HP Smart Array P411/512 MB FBWC Controller

HP Smart Array P411/1G FBWC Controller

HP Smart Array P812/1G Flash Backed Cache Controller

Hence any of the above controllers may be installed to utilize the aforesaid hard drive. If all eight hard drives need to be installed in the server, then install 2nd Hot plug Hard Disk Drive module option kit. HP Smart Array P410 Controller is recommended for this purposes, though any of the above would also work.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

TurskRO
Occasional Advisor

OK.. it looks like this system has the P410 256 card in it. I was able to insert the drives OK and they are seen in ACU. My newest problem with this system is as follows:

The 250Gb SATA drives that were shipped with the system are configured as their own array/logical drive. In other words, I have arrary A that is RAID 0 with the first drive and array B, RAID 0 with the second drive. Why it was set up this way??? The first array/logical drive is the one that it is booting from, the second has never even been formatted in the system. It just shows as unconfigured drive in the OS (which is Server 2008 Standard).

So I was unable to set the new drives up at all. They show as unconfigured/unassigned, but there was no "create" option in the ACU. So I rebooted the server and tried the F8 option at startup and it would not let me create an array either... it said the limit of arrays had been reached, use ACU. Oh bother.

So this is my newest question:

I'd like to kill the second array (array/logical drive B) and then add that drive it to the first array making it a RAID 1 array. Can this be done without loosing the information?

After this is done, I'm assuming I will be able to create a new array B with the two 1tb hard drives. (oh, BTW, the 2tb drives were returned and I got the original ordered 1tb drives)

Any help/procedures on the joining of the SATA 250gb drives to one RAID 1 configuration would be grate.

Ali
HPE Pro

hi

The 250Gb SATA drives that were shipped with the system are configured as their own array/logical drive. In other words, I have arrary A that is RAID 0 with the first drive and array B, RAID 0 with the second drive. Why it was set up this way???

if we install two drives on smart array controller at the same time and reboot the system it offers auto configuration and it would have been configured as Raid 1 not sure how did it create raid 0 possibly drive were inserted one by one or could be by mistake/human error.

So this is my newest question:

I'd like to terminate the second array (array/logical drive B) and then add that drive it to the first array making it a RAID 1 array. Can this be done without loosing the information?

Please ensure / validate your backup.

You can delete the Array B from offline ACU so that additional hard drive becomes available.

Smart Array Controller Support RAID level migration (between any RAID level/with BBWC/FBWC ) depending on the number of drives and configuration. So this is very much possible to migrate raid 0 to Raid 1. however, p410 controller requires cache upgrade (512MB battery-backed write cache (BBWC)) to enable the additional features such as array expansion, logical drive extension, RAID migration, and stripe size migration.

please refer to P410 quickspecs for more information on Cache upgrade:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_na/13201_na.HTML

Other option that you have (without 512 cache upgrade) is backup your data, delete both the arrays, create new array and logical drive with Raid 1 configuration and restore the backup.

hope this helps,

How to say thanks... click on star Kudos!

Cheers!

Ali

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo