cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML330 HD boot order setting doesn't seem to have any effect

Chuck Zalinski
Occasional Visitor

ML330 HD boot order setting doesn't seem to have any effect

I have my ML330 set up as RAID 1+0 using 4 ATA 100 drives. Installed Windows Server 2003. Works great, boots great. No problems.

Recently I added a PCI SATA and IDE controller so I could backup to a removable SATA hard drive.

When I boot, without the SATA plugged in, it still boots fine to my OS.

When I boot with the SATA drive connected, it treats the SATA drive as the boot drive. There is no boot sector so it fails. It is treating this new drive as the "C:" drive and not the RAID array.

OK, so now I setup the BIOS, go to the Boot options (I don't have the menu open, but it is the setting where you set the order for your hard drives). I see three choices: internal RAID array, internal built-in basic IDE, and the PCI controller I added. No matter what I set the order as, it seems to want to boot that PCI controller and not my RAID array.

Yes, I can think of a workaround: add a spare IDE to the PCI card (it also is a PATA controller) and set it up as the boot drive, then boot up with the OS on RAID array. I'm not sure exactly how I am going to achieve this without reinstalling everything though.

There has to be a better way. Why doesn't the BIOS setup do what it seems to be designed to do?
8 REPLIES

Re: ML330 HD boot order setting doesn't seem to have any effect

Do you see Hard Drive Controller Order under The Storage Menu in BIOS? Set the first boot controller order you wish to boot. Let me know if you still facing the same result.

Thanks
gregersenj
HPE Pro

I don't have a push this button solution for you. But here's how it work and what to look for.

You got a boot order saying:
Floppy
CD-ROM
HDD
USB
NIC
(Just a legacy excample)

When you got multible HDD's. The machine will boot from the first drive.

In the BIOS setup, try to look for a listing of the HDD's. It might be possible to move the drives up/down in the list.

Or, try to look at the RAID controller setup. Look for select as boot controller.

Or, Move the IDE controller to another PCI slot, wich may give it a lower priority.

Let us know wich generation you ML330.
If the colour is White(Creame) it's a G1.
all later geberations got a G(x) on the front. Then we can check manuals for you.
Chuck Zalinski
Occasional Visitor

Y'all said... "Do you see Hard Drive Controller Order under The Storage Menu in BIOS? Set the first boot controller order you wish to boot. Let me know if you still facing the same result."

Yep. That's what I was (poorly) trying to communicate in my original question (I'm writing this at a different computer so I don't have the exact menu strings). But I went to this menu option, change the order (try every permutation of the three: Internal RAID, Internal IDE, PCI card). It doesn't seem to make any difference at all. That is what confused me in the first place. No matter what order I put these it ignores the internal RAID and goes right to the PCI (with the SATA attached). Seemed like this BISO setting was a NOP. By the way, I already had the internal RAID marked as bootable (which allows it to boot when I don't plug the SATA in).

Unfortunately, my PCI card doesn't seem to have a "not bootable" jumper. I wish it did. I may be able to find a utility in the CD ROM it came with.

I'm also going to try moving it to the last PCI slot per the suggestion and see what happens.

I appreciate the help!
Chuck Zalinski
Occasional Visitor

More details:
HP Proliant ML330 G3
HP BIOS D15 07/26/2003

Moved the card to PCI slot 4 with no effect.

Boot Controller Order
Ctrl:1 PCI Embedded CSB-6 Ultra ATA 100 IDE RAID
Ctrl:2 PCI Embedded HP Integrated PCI IDE Controller
Ctrl:3 PCI Slot 4 RAID Mass Storage Controller

When I exit and save BIOS, it tells me:
Current Boot Controller PCI Embedded CSB-6 Ultra ATA 100 IDE RAID

That last statement tells me it thinks it should boot correctly. But it doesn't. It still tries to boot fron the PCI Slot 4 device (my SATA drive). If I yank the SATA drive then I boot OK.

Gonna try a BIOS upgrade. If that fails then I'll give up and add another IDE drive to boot from (so I can still use the SATA as a removable backup, which is the whole purpose of my adding the PCI card).
gregersenj
HPE Pro

I haven't been able to find a golden solution for you.

I'm wondering: Is there a setup for the SATA ctrl, where you can set it to not be boot ctrl?

Has the SATA drives been boot drives in another machine?
Chuck Zalinski
Occasional Visitor

I have tried a bunch of things with no luck. Unfortunately, there is no way to have the controller not support boot. I tried a lot of tricks and may try a different controller card (waiting for delivery). I have already spent too much time on this issue and may just decide to use a network backup.

Thanks for the help.
gregersenj
HPE Pro

You're welcome

Try to take a look at this thread:
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1050900

Read Brian Murdochs comment. This might be the explanation.

cheers
/jag
Chuck Zalinski
Occasional Visitor

The linked article helped. Looks like the same problem. I may try disabling or changing the INT of the controller card.