ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748038 Members
5164 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML330 Redundant Power Supply Not Entirely Working

ML330 Redundant Power Supply Not Entirely Working

Hi Everyone!
My name is Matthew. I am having a problem with a client's computer. We have two 750W power supplies hooked up redundantly in this server. When both power supplies are plugged in it works fine. If I unplug either of the supplies from the wall it still works fine. The redundancy kicks in exactly like it should. If I pull the power supply from "slot 2" then it works fine also, the power supply in slot one picks it up the slack. The problem occurs when we remove the power supply from "slot 1". It does not matter which power supplies are in the slot, the result is the same. If someone can shed some light on the situation I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Part number of the server: 600911-001
Part number of the Power Supplies: 508544-001
8 REPLIES 8
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: ML330 Redundant Power Supply Not Entirely Working

Sounds like the hot swap power supply chassis connection is shorting. The power supplies are fine. Did you swap power supplies and see if the same result from bay 1.

yes we did swap the power supplies and it still occurred with bay 1. Is there a way to fix the problem? Preferably one that doesn't include the sentence "buy a new server" lol
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

How about replace the power supply hot swap chassis? The power supplies fit into a hot swap chassis. You should be able to replace just the chassis from HP. Do you have Carepaq on the server? If yes, call them. If not, call HP for a part number for the hot swap power supply chassis.

Thank you very much! I will rate you well if this works out as I hope.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I can't find the part number for it. Open up the server. Remove both power supplies. Remove the hot swap chassis. Look for the HP part number on it. Google it. Otherwise call HP. Tell them you don't need the power supplies. You need the hot swap chassis or cage. Not sure what they call it.
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

Let's back up for a minute...I am assuming this to be a G6. From your first post, I would say that redundancy is working, except when there is no power supply in slot one. One might think if the slot were bad, it would also fail when the cord is unplugged. It may be worth checking the bios...as I recall, there are several settings, and if it is not set for balanced, it may fail simply because #1 slot is the primary setting in the bios and #2 doesn't know what to do when 1 is absent. #1 is not the top one and the bios has to be correct for a hot swap.

I am curious what symptoms caused you to start pulling the power supplies? If you are chasing shut down issues, there are other possible problems such as incorrect UPS, etc.

Good Luck
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

Please ignore my previous post as I was thinking I installed a 330 where I had similar issues. In rethinking that install is an ML350 G6. Sorry
maxmagate
Occasional Advisor

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've verified this problem on 3 (three!) Proliant ML330G6 (at least!). I opened a support case with HP support on 2011-July-29 and no results until today. Hp support made two on-site visit on my site and on one server they changed: - the two power supplies - changed twice the enablement kit (ML330G6 has an enablement kit to accept two redundant power supplies instead of standard single power suplly) - changed twice the main board - changed all ram (that is 2 x 2GB) - changed settings in the bios - upgraded all bios and firmware to last releases. No result. I verified that if I switch on the server and enter the bios setup, then I will *not* have the problem when I pull out upper power suplly. I do have the problem if I boot with SmartStart dvd by HP or after my Windows Server 2003 is on and *then* I pull put the upper power supply. Problem was detected on a  routine validation test I recently decided to perform before using a server in a production environment. You can atch a simple video here: h t t p : / / video . tiscali . it / canali / Tecnologia/86604 . html