1751713 Members
5388 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML330 bios recover

Roland J├╕rgensen
Occasional Advisor

ML330 bios recover

After using online Bios upgrade (cp003279.exe) the system just did not response - then I power off and on again, but now it just dont start at all (no post).
I created at offline rompaq (SP23597.exe) boot disk to do a bios recovery, set contact 3 on switch 2 on the motherboard on, but when I power on i got a long beeb and 3 short beeps and after a little while 2 short beeps then floppy access, it just seems like it stops there (tested with 3 different floppys).
How do I get this server up running again?

/Roland :-)
9 REPLIES 9
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML330 bios recover

The servers generally have redundant rom.So if the issue is because of a corrupted rom,you can boot to the redundant rom.The process to do that manually is:

1. Power down the server.
2. Remove the front bezel.
3. Remove the access panel.
4. Set the system configuration switch positions 1, 5, and 6 to the On position.
5. Power up the server. The ROM will beep and halt when the ROM images have been swapped.
6. Power down the server and reset all system configuration switch positions to the default Off position.
7. Power up the server.

The disaster recovery process flashes both the primary and backup roms.The process is as below:

1. Create a ROMPaq diskette using the Autorun Menu on the SmartStart CD.
2. Power down the server.
3. Insert the ROMPaq diskette.
4. Power up the server.
a. The server generates one long beep and two short beeps to indicate that you are in disaster recovery mode. If the diskette is not in place, the system continues to beep until a valid ROMPaq diskette is inserted.
b. The ROMPaq diskette flashes both system ROM images. If successful, a sequence of ascending audible beeps is generated. If unsuccessful, a sequence of descending audible beeps is generated and you need to repeat the disaster recovery process.
5. Power down the server.
6. Remove the ROMPaq diskette.
7. Power up the server.
Roland J├╕rgensen
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for reply.
Do you mean the switches on the ML330 Server Feature Board? because on the motherboard there are only 2 switch blocks with 4 switches.
FYI its at Compaq Proliant ML330 D3 (not G2 or G3).
SPa
Trusted Contributor

The process i had mentioned was for the ML330 G3.Incase it is the ML330 Base Model,the steps would be the same except inplace of Configuration switches 1,4,5,6 switches 1,2,3 and 4 on systems with 4 switches on the system maintenance switch block are to be put to the ON position.

In this case it is the SW2 on the system board.

The Base model do not have a redundant ROM and hence accessing redundant rom is not possible.

Apologies for any confusion.

Roland J├╕rgensen
Occasional Advisor

I did put all 4 switches on SW2 on the system board in on position, powered on the server, but got the same result as in my first posting. Could it be the switches on the Server Feature Board? in the documentation only says Reserved for all except for sw1 (disabling video).
Roland J├╕rgensen
Occasional Advisor

Should the file on the floppy have a special name? I just run the SP23597.exe, and the files are on the floppy. Or should I create a autoexec.bat file on the disk?
SPa
Trusted Contributor

The files would be the same SP23597.exe.

You need to run the softpack which will guide you to make a floppy.No additional files are required.
Roland J├╕rgensen
Occasional Advisor

I created the floppy disk and the files are on the floppy. When I set all switches on SW2 in on position, and leave the disk in the drive, and power on, its like the PC are booting from the disk and then stops, then nothing happens. Any suggestions??
SPa
Trusted Contributor

I hope the floppy drive is functional.

The other option which i can think of is to clear the NVRAM first.To do that,put the switch 2 of SW2 to the ON position and power ON the server.

Power down again after a couple of minute.Revert the switch to the normal position and try the recovery again.

Incase it still fails,swapping parts should be the option left.

Roland J├╕rgensen
Occasional Advisor

I just gave up and used another server.