3891 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML330 replacement CPU Fan

eqDoBBs
Occasional Contributor

ML330 replacement CPU Fan

Hi,

I need to replace the CPU fan on the 2nd processor, but cannot get a 3 pin connector fan to work on the 4 pin header.

From various searches I am led to believe connecting across pins 1-3 should work OK, however this is not the case with me. This is an old server and I am not keen on spending ┬г70+ on the HP part.

If anyone can tell me how I can connect or where in BIOS I can disable any fault check to use a 3 pin fan I would be very grateful.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
eqDoBBs
Occasional Contributor

Sorry to bump, but I have searched through these forums and the net in general and cannot find any answer to allow me to use a standard 3 pin CPU fan.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just out of curiosity what model of ML330 is this (G1, G2) etc?

According to Intel you should be able to use a 3-pin fan on a 4-pin motherboard header.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012074.htm

Regards,

Brian
eqDoBBs
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Its a G3 version of the ML330.

While I had not seen that page, various sites/forums have indicated that 3 pin fans work fine on 4 pin headers.

Although there has been references to BIOS settings that lock a machine out if it detects fan failure. Unless the Asaka fan I have is DOA or there is somewhere I cannot find in the BIOS to disable this detection OR there is something specific to the ML330 boards header which requires specific wiring. Obviously I did not want to play with combinations to test with a live machine.

thanks for your help and if you or anyone elese knows anything else, I am still looking desperately to get this resolved.

Mark
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Mark,

If it's any use, the correct heatsink/fan assembly for the ML330 G3 is spare part number 325035-001. It can be purchased from HP Partsurfer for ├В┬г31.44 +VAT which isn't too ridiculous a price.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partinfo&template=main&cpric=uk&psrchmode=&partsrch=325035-001&submit.x=3&submit.y=6

Regards,

Brian