Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML330 slow secondary slave.

SOLVED
Go to solution
John McGregor_1
Occasional Visitor

ML330 slow secondary slave.

Hello, this is my first post to this forum.
I am setting up a ML330 G3 with Windows Server
2003 standard.
Using three Maxtor 80Gb ATA/133 drives.
Installed the OS on drive C: then added the
other two drives. Formatted drive e: as a simple ntfs partition - ok.
The problems arise with drive f: which is the secondary slave.
The first symptom was that the format was very slow. 6 or 7 hours. Then any file transfer to this drive was correspondingly slow - three or four times longer than transfers to the e: drive.
Looking at the performance, any disk operations on drive f: cause the processor to jump to 50/60 percent.
All the drives are as supplied by HP as new.
Since this arose I have spent quite a bit of time looking into the problem to the extent of replicating the whole installation on another PC where all the drives perform perfectly fine including the secondary master.
The problem appears to lie with the ML330. Is this a known issue?
I have looked through the HP website without success.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John McGregor
Dumbarton
Scotland
5 REPLIES
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML330 slow secondary slave.

Hi John,

Welcome to ITRC:)

Have you try upgrading the system BIOS to the latest version? What about the drives FW? Are all the device drivers up-to-date?

Hope this helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
John McGregor_1
Occasional Visitor

Hi Saket,

Thanks for the thoughts.

The drives are ok. I took the package of three drives and did a full installation on another PC a Fujitsu Siemens using Server 2003. Everything fine , no discernible difference between Drive E: and F: for any file operation.
Naive I suppose but since the server was brand new I had hoped there would be no particular issues and I could do a straight forward install...
I will investigate upgrading the system BIOS and the drivers situation as well

Cheers!

John McGregor

Dumbarton
Scotland
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

John,

Would you please try the following updated CSB-6 ATA100 IDE Raid driver to see if it makes any difference to your problem.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18828.html

The file is executed from the O/S. This update is for W2K and W2K3.

Regards,

Brian
e4services
Honored Contributor

John,

There is no IDE drive "firmware" to upgrade, as previously mentioned (a common response in the forum "assign points!" geez.

What you did not mention, which is critical for IDE, is the actual cable connections to the drives.
You have 3 drives, no RAID.
You had 1 installed when the OS was run in.
You added 2 more drives. Individual volumes.
Here is where your description needs more. Assuming you placed the second drive as a slave to the first, the third would have to go to another IDE channel. You write "secondary slave". Since there is a maximum of 2 drives per channel, this gives the impression that you have something else as the master on that channel. Per HP and just common practice "Connect ATA hard drives only to the Integrated ATA/100 RAID controller channels. Do not connect other peripherals to the Integrated ATA/100 RAID controller channels." they will slow down the bus. Or you need to set the 3rd HD to Master.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
John McGregor_1
Occasional Visitor

Dear John,

Apologies for the delay in this reply.
First to Brian, I applied the CSB-6 ATA100 IDE Raid driver update. And initially it did seem to make a difference. After conversion to dynamic disks and formatting as RAID5 it still appeared very slow and uses a lot of Processor time for file operations.

I take the point on disk line-up. The disk harness is marked from the manufacturer with master and slave settings. On the secondary side the CD ROM is the master as it came from HP , with the HD as slave.

From here I'm going to do another rewrite so
will set the secondary HD as master and see how that goes (O8

Thanks again

John McGregor

Dumbarton Scotland