108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML330G3 + MS Windows 2003 non OEM !

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lammel
Occasional Advisor

ML330G3 + MS Windows 2003 non OEM !

how Do I install original windows 2003 (non OEM) standard edition (grey box) with smartstart 6.4 ?

I have a ML330 bundle with raid 641 controller and be not able to install Win2003 because the smartstart always asks for a HP branded Win2003 version. No other Win2003 option in smartstart is avaible ?!

I cannot install Win2003 manual because the Windows Setup missing avaible harddiscs. Offer driver with F6 dosn't wor: Setup told me, that build in driver are avaible ? I go confused.

Anyone out there who know what to do ?
4 REPLIES 4
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

1. Have you configured the drives into a RAID array first?

2. Can you then boot from the Microsoft 2003 and install? If not, what is the exact error message you are getting?

Lammel
Occasional Advisor

The whole Story:
I can boot from the Win2003 CD. It is an original German W2003 standard edition RETAIL in a grey paper box. The Server is an ML330G3 with 641RAID controller. I setup a hostdrive with raid5 from the bios (V1.30) provided by the controller. The raid was build and is aktiv as boot controller.

I boot with smartstart V6.4 and go through the german setuproutine. As operationsystem I can select several W2k and only on windows2003 Version: Windows 2003 standardedition (HP branded). I select this.
Now I can continue and endet in check for the correct operating system CD. My Windows is not accepted !

So I try to boot with my Windows CD to made an manual setup. Fist I start normal and stopped in Windows setup with no avaible disk drive for setup. Seems to be a missing driver.
I ran Setup again, hit F6 for aditional deriver, copy driver from smartstart CD to floppy and add additonal driver. There is my 641 and I try to add it. Failed ! Windows told me that an exist driver is newer than this one i try to use. Strange. Stopped again without disk's :(

No, I finaly mange it ! I download the actual support pack 6.4 and extract cp003482 to a floppy. With this driver I was able to setup the System and to all steps manual without smartstart. Took me 3h of work.

I never have so much trouble to setup a Proliantserver sience I installed my first Netware3.12 and my last Win2K.

Meanwhile I try several things. The setting in Bios for used OS is absolutly ignored by Smartstart ! I set it in Bios to Other and get again Windows in Smartstart. Seems a little bit buggy :(
Victor Pendlebury
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi

You have to wait for Smart Start 7.00 to install a non OEM German version of Windows 2003 .

This problem occurs with all non English versions

Below is copy of customer advisory
Regards

Victor

-----------------------------------
CUSTOMER ADVISORY

EA030820_CW01 REVISION: 0

SmartStart Releases 6.30 And 6.40 Do Not Support Assisted Installation Of French, Italian, Spanish, Or German Versions Of Windows Server 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RELEASE DATE:
September 2003

DESCRIPTION
SmartStart Release 6.30 and SmartStart Release 6.40 do not support Assisted Installations of French, Italian, German, or Spanish (FIGS) language versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (any edition) on ProLiant servers.

When booting from the SmartStart Release 6.30 CD, the following occurs:

If French, Italian, German, or Spanish is selected as the language for use during the SmartStart process, then Windows Server 2003 (any edition) will not appear on the list of operating systems available for installation. Only Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (any edition) will be listed as an operating system available for use to perform a SmartStart Assisted Installation.
Note: This will occur even when the operating system setting in ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU) is set to Microsoft Windows 2000 Server/Windows Server 2003.

If English is selected as the language for use during the SmartStart process, and a French, Italian, German, or Spanish language version of the Windows Server 2003 CD is inserted, the installation may not complete and a message may appear which states that the CD is not present in the SETUPTXT.INF file.

When booting from the SmartStart Release 6.40 CD, the following occurs:

If French, Italian, German, or Spanish is selected as the language for use during the SmartStart process, then only Windows 2000 Server (any edition) or the HP branded version of Windows Server 2003 will be listed as an operating system available for installation. All other versions of Windows Server 2003 will not appear on the list of operating systems available for installation.
Note: This will occur even when the operating system setting in ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU) is set to Microsoft Windows 2000 Server/Windows Server 2003.

If English is selected as the language for use during the SmartStart process, and a French, Italian, German, or Spanish language version of the Windows Server 2003 CD is inserted, the installation may not complete and a message may appear which states that the CD is not present in the SETUPTXT.INF file.
SCOPE
Any ProLiant servers that support SmartStart Release 6.30 and SmartStart Release 6.40 using the Assisted Installation path to install Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (any edition) in French, Italian, German, or Spanish (FIGS) language versions.
RESOLUTION
For an alternative installation method of Windows Server 2003 in a language other than English, perform one of the following:

Install Windows Server 2003 (any edition) directly from the Microsoft operating system CD.
OR

Perform a Windows Server 2003 (any edition) Unattended Installation by manually modifying and using the UNATTEND.TXT answer file.
Note: For more information on how to perform an Unattended Installation of Windows Server 2003 using the UNATTEND.TXT answer file, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base articles by accessing the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com

Article 216258 - HOW TO: Perform an Unattended Installation of Windows from a CD-ROM

Article 325856 - HOW TO: Specify Regional and Language Settings for an Unattended Installation of Windows MultiLanguage Version in Windows Server 2003

Article 816299 - HOW TO: Create an Unattended Installation of Third-Party Mass Storage Drivers in Windows Server 2003

Article 186336 - INFO: Unattend.txt Options That Are Used During an Unattended Upgrade

SmartStart Assisted Installations of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (any edition) in French, Italian, German, or Spanish or (FIGS) will be incorporated in future versions of SmartStart.

HARDWARE PLATFORMS AFFECTED: ProLiant DL360 G2, ProLiant DL360 G3, ProLiant DL380 G2, ProLiant DL380 G3, ProLiant DL560, ProLiant DL580 G2, ProLiant DL740, ProLiant DL760, ProLiant DL760 G2, ProLiant ML310, ProLiant ML330 G2, ProLiant ML330 G3, ProLiant ML350 G2, ProLiant ML350 G3, ProLiant ML370 G2, ProLiant ML370 G3, ProLiant ML530 G2, ProLiant ML570 G2
COMPONENTS AFFECTED: Non-hardware specific
OPERATING SYSTEMS AFFECTED: Microsoft (Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition)
SOFTWARE AFFECTED: SmartStart
THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AFFECTED: None
DOWNLOADABLE FILES: None
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.

Lammel
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, this made it clear. File closed.