Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 - Dissapearing 'D' drive?? very strange

John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

ML350 - Dissapearing 'D' drive?? very strange

Hi all,

I've got a couple of ML350's running here installed back in '04 (due for replacement later this year).

We run Systems Insight manager and both servers were set up to communicate with SIM.
Servers are ML350's running fully patched Win 2003 server.

Both machines are configured with RAID 5 with Active Data Guard (ADG) which uses all 5 drive slots, this is for extra security.

Anyway, back in March one of them reports a bad physical disk.. no problem, just replace it and after a few minutes system reports all is well.

Now.. this is where it gets a bit weird, one of the two machines is running a Messaging queue application, nothing else, maybe a about 100mb of disk space, not a lot of CPU and stuff all RAM, but i wanted a dedicated box to run it (I also have box replicated offsite).

However... today when looking to upgrade the messaging software on one of the machiens I open up 'my computer', only to stare blankly at the complete lack of a 'D' drive!! I could swear that when our HP reseller set them up they had 'D' drives configured.

There's nothing on the 'D' drive of these boxes, but the loss (I think) of a 'D' drive is a bit worrying.

So, off I pop to Insight manager.. look at the server, see the log entry created by the dead physical disk.

But nothing else... nothing that talks about a failure of loss of data, nothing about deactivating a logical drive...

The homepage for the server shows the array in good condition, with all physical drives present (and the ADG disk) and accounted for.

My query is this, how can I find out whether or not I've lost a logical volume.. or... just never had a 'D' drive volume configured in the first place?

There's a tool called 'Identify Drives' in the 'Array controller Information' page for the server accessed via SIM. Should I give that a go? Does this tool potentially break anything?

-John

-John
3 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 - Dissapearing 'D' drive?? very strange

hi

just by any chance have you opened disk management? and check space and partitions ...

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

did you find out the issue? is it fixed?

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

I was able to go to the HP Array Controller via Insight Manager, it just reports one logical disk, all physical volumes present and accounted for...

Maybe there was no 'D' drive defined?

When I went to the HP Array Controller page, all the drive bay lights on the ML350 started to blink orange! But the server was quite happy plodding along.

When I left the HP Array Controller page, the drives stopped flashing orange.

Is this supposed to happen??

No errors turned up.

-John